Chapter 11: Something Weird

You woke up the next day and went downstairs to get something to eat. You made yourself some waffles and sat on the couch, eating. You suddenly heard a voice whisper in your ear, making you jump.

        "Hey." You whipped your head around to see Ben's glowing red eyes staring back at you.

        "Wah- Jesus, Ben. What's wrong with you? I almost dropped my food." You mumbled, giving him a look.

        "My bad, my bad. Should I have done that? Probably not, but was it fun? Yup.!" He grinned, plopping himself on the other side of the couch, laying down, and closing his eyes as you ate your food.

        "So, Ben... about yesterday." You started, and he looked at you.

        "You said that you've been feeling off since the week started?" You raised an eyebrow.

        "'Off' is an understatement! Listen, I'm supposed to be this immortal, terrifying entity, but really, I get scared easily. Every time I'm alone in a room, I feel like someone—or something—is watching me!" He shivered

        "I dunno, there might be something weird going on around here, but rest assured, I doubt it." You placed your hand on his shoulder and gave him a comforting smile, a weak attempt at consoling the frantic boy.

        "I-I-I'm just so... I don't even know what to think anymore!" He took a few breaths before letting his eyes meet yours.

        "Thanks, I guess, for comforting me." He shrugged before going back to playing video games.

        "No problem." You watched him for a few seconds before going back to your book; he was pretty good at video games. Your mind was still on his words. Was there a chance this place could be haunted? You suddenly felt an icy cold hand graze the skin of your neck, and you jolted, instinctively launching your book behind you as you turned around.

You locked eyes with Jack as he dodged your unaimed shot effortlessly while giving you a look of concern.

        "What's gotten into you and destroying things that aren't yours?" He picked up the book, inspecting it before setting it down on the nearby coffee table.

       "I-I'm sorry, alright?!" You stammered, looking away out of shame.

        "It's just that Ben has been telling me some creepy things, alright? It's getting to me."You mumbled, slumping down onto the couch, your hands covering your face.

       "Ben? What'd he say?"

        "He says that he's feeling watched." You sigh, looking up from the couch at him. He didn't reply for about a minute, and the two of you engaged in eye contact the whole time. He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, shrugging.

        "That's... weird." He said it quietly before leaving, and you groaned as you thought he probably knew something you didn't but wouldn't tell you. You glanced back at Ben, who was immersed in his games, and sighed, looking out the window at the darkened sky with small, white stars. It seemed like you were just going to have to get used to these shenanigans, as you weren't leaving anytime soon.