Chapter Eighteen - More Conversations

I was drenched, to say the least. Those stupid mermaids have no chill.

I pulled away from the hug and glanced at the water, a mermaid was still emerged, glaring into my soul.

I glared back. She hissed at me and went back to wherever she came from.

I smirked triumphantly and went to stand, a firm hand on my shoulder stopping me, I turned towards Peter, a questioning look on my face.

"You're not walking." He spoke, strategically manoeuvring to pick me up bridal-style.

"For the love of god.." I muttered to myself as him and Liam began walking. The soothing pattern of Peter's footsteps made me feel drowsy, I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes, letting myself drift off.

~Peter's POV~

I looked down at Lara, her breathing signified she was asleep. I shifted her slightly in my arms so she was more comfortable before directing my attention back to walking.

Me and Liam walked in comfortable silence as Lara quietly snored, it was cute to be honest.

We walked into camp, the sudden light slightly blinding me, making me scrunch my eyes up and look down.

Lara stirred in my arms and I looked down at her, her head was still rested on my chest so I gathered she was asleep.

I walked over to where Slightly and his group were sat, they looked up at me and then to Lara, visibly confused.

"Why's she soaked?" Ace questioned, causing her to move again. "Mermaids. Find Alex and Sam, scout the island for any intruders or threats, hunt while you're at it." I answered the question and gave an order, he nodded and walked off to find the boys.

"Is she unconscious or asleep?" Ace looked concerned, making me smile on the inside. "Asleep," He visibly relaxed, before his eyes focused on her, making sure she was actually okay.

She stirred again, and I gathered she was going to wake up soon. I walked over to a log and sat, shifting her so she was sat on one of my thighs, head rested on my shoulder as she surprisingly stayed asleep.

I watched as my boys busily ran around camp, doing their tasks for the day, some cooking, some skinning animals, some bringing dead animals in, and some whittling or building things like cages and huts.

My attention went back to Lara as she let out a soft groan, moving again in her sleep.

She lifted her head slowly, her eyes probably adjusting to the light. She turned her attention towards me when she noticed me staring. "Good morning," I smirked down at her smugly, she rolled her eyes and buried her face in the crook of my neck.

"Awe, we still not a morning person?" I teased and she let out another groan, shoving me playfully.

"We both knew that wasn't going to do anything as you are literally sat on me."

She lifted her head and glared at me, "how long was I asleep?" She rubbed one of her eyes and looked around camp.

"Not long, maybe an hour, hour and a half tops." I rubbed her back gently for no apparent reason.

She nodded and rested her head on my chest, I rested my head on hers as I kept rubbing her back.

George trudged over to us as Lara began to trace shapes onto my arm.

"She's awake?" He asked as he sat down next to me. "Yup,"

"So why's she still on you?" He raised an eyebrow and I rolled my eyes. "Maybe because she wants to be? I don't know, ask her." She tensed as I spoke, probably not wanting human contact right now.