Dress

People chattered. Talking about anything and everything. Emily wore a sundress with a pair of sandals. She caught the attention of many people. Mainly men. I wondered if they knew who her husband was.

"Let's see now. Oh! I know. Let's get you some cute clothes. Surely wearing the same uniform everyday has got be old by now," Emily smiled. She dragged me into a shop that held simple dresses. There were a few very elegant ones.

I stayed away from those. They looked very expensive and I didn't want her to spend too much money on me. She grabbed a few dresses and showed me. Some of them were alright, others you wouldn't catch me dead in. Eventually she figured out my style and dropped a load of dresses on me.

"Go try them on! I want to see how they fit. You're uniform leaves a lot to the imagination." My uniform did leave a lot to the imagination. The shirt was a size too big, how I wore all of my shirts. My pants weren't loose but they didn't hug my legs either. There was just enough space to hide things like knives and what not underneath them.

I also wore long sleeves a lot. Even in the hot weather. Clinton had yelled at me for trying to wear a jacket during the hotter months when we trained. Very rarely did I ever wear short sleeves shirts. They made me feel exposed.

I made my way into the changing room with the stack of dresses. All of them held no sleeves.

The first dress was yellow. Definitely not a color I liked in general. In my opinion it didn't suit anybody. But I tried it on to please Emily. When the dress was on correctly I looked at myself.

My arms.

I left my bracelets at home in my room. The one day I would actually need them, I forget them. Just my luck. My hand hesitated on the doorknob. Maybe she wouldn't notice.

"Yellow definitely isn't your color," her finger went to her lips. She shook her head. "No, that one won't do. Pull out all of the yellow ones. I'll have someone put them back."

I did as she said. My uniform was on before I picked out all of the yellow dresses and handed them off to the lady outside the changing room.

The next dress was orange. I had a feeling it would go the same way the yellow one had. And guess what? I was right. She said it didn't flatter me enough and had the others hauled away as well.

We went through so many colors. Emily not happy with any of them.

Blue was used too much on me. My uniform was accented with the color so I could be matched to Tuarana. Pink had, in Emily's words, been an utter disappointment. It made me look preppy. Also the look I had when showing her was proof enough I hated it. Black made look like a ghost. It whitewashed me so bad she didn't even let me leave the room all the way before telling me to change. White blended with my hair too much. Too much white also made me like a ghost.

That was the majority of the colors here. Emily huffed in frustration as she dragged me along to find a dress I liked. She mumbled to herself as she pushed aside one dress after the other. My attention slipped away for a moment.

A dark red dress, the color of Ares, had caught my attention. It wasn't like the sundresses we had been looking at, but it wasn't an extremely extravagant one either.

The front of the skirt stopped at the knees of the mannequin. The back of it trailed down, stopping just before it touched the ground. On the front at the top, it covered the whole chest. It went up and connected to fabric that wrapped around the neck. Long sleeves were made of lace. And the back was open.

"Can we try that one on please?" Emily sounded next to me. I jumped at her voice. She smiled and winked at me as one of the workers grabbed the dress from the mannequin.

"Wait! No let's look at the ones we've been looking at. I just thought that one was pretty," I tried to stop it. Emily hauled me to the changing room and thrust the dress into my hands. The door was closed abruptly afterwards.

"We're not leaving until I see you in that dress!" She said in a sing-song voice. I looked at the dress. This had to be more expensive than the others we had tried.

Carefully, I put it on. Fear of accidentally ruining the dress wracked my brain as I struggled with the material for about ten minutes. Eventually I got it on.

And oh my Gods did I love it. I wasn't a very curvy person. But this dress actually made me think I looked good for once. It fit perfectly. The back of it touched the ground seeing as I wasn't wearing a pair of heels, but it fit. I turned and looked at myself in the mirror. Shock was written all over my face.

"Let me see!" Emily cried from the outside the door. My hand moved on its own and pulled the door open. Emily gasped and stood with her hands over her mouth and eyes wide. She reached out to me and turned me in all directions. "It's gorgeous! We'll take this one!"

"Wait, it has to be really expensive. Let me change so we can get something cheaper," I tried to pull away. Emily shook her head.

"No! You can change but I'm buying you this one." She stated firmly. I changed and kept trying to sway her to buy a different one. She was almost as stubborn as Clinton.

We shopped around a bit more before going back to her and Clinton's house. Even after being on her feet and shopping all day she made dinner and served us. I tried to help but she kept batting me away. At one point she told Clinton to make me stop offering to help her. I felt terrible that she had spent money on me. Especially the amount the dress has cost.

The woman had tried to stop me from seeing the price, but I had seen it anyways. Just the dress had cost two hundred Sil. I hadn't seen that much money at the same time in my whole life! And she spent it without even batting an eye!