Lake

All of us sat around a fire next to the lake. It was a free day for students so they didn't have class. We had all collectively decided to just fuck around and have fun.

My shorts were still wet from the swimming we had done a few minutes ago. I had thrown my shirt to Octavia so hers wouldn't be ruined, just in case. Her bangs still stuck to her forehead. We were all still wet.

"Sunny truth or dare?" Marcus asked suddenly. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. This game was stupid but it was one of the ones we played the most when were younger.

"Truth," he said suspiciously. Which in all honesty, good for him. When it came to truth or dare, things could get wild pretty quick.

Marcus clearly had to think of something. He was hoping the kid would pick dare. "Have you ever smoked?" Really? That was all he could come up with? Sunny shook his head. "Really? I figured almost every one has tried it at least once. Noah and I still do it every now and then. Anyways, your turn."

"Via truth or dare?" He asked. We all knew what she was going to pick.

"Truth," she said quietly. I laid down with my head in her lap. There was no real reason for it, I just wanted to be as close as possible to her.

"Have you dated anybody?" Thank the Gods he was being nice. Octavia was shy and there were some questions that she would not answer.

Via shook her head. A slight blush from embarrassment creeping up her skin. I reached and pushed her hair behind her ear. She was so cute when she was flustered.

"Oh damn, I thought you two were a thing not going to lie," he said apologetically.

"Shit, I wish," I said in response. Now it was Via's turn to roll her eyes.

"You would if you got the chance, wouldn't you?" She thought it was a joke, but it wasn't. If she gave me the chance to date her, I would in that very second.

"There's one way to find out," I suggested. She rolled her eyes again and then pushed me off of her. Being stubborn, and a little shit, I put my head back on her lap and the game continued.

Everyone went back forth a few times. Micah was the first to choose a dare. That's when it got fun. He climbed to the top of a tree and had Brantley pick him up.

I had been dared to fly out over the middle of the lake and swim back. So of course I did it. It was just a lake after all. Plus I was a decent swimmer. The way back still took a while because it's a pretty big lake. Water dripped from my shorts and hair as I walked back up to the group.

"You actually fucking did it?" Sunny said astonished. I nodded.

"Clinton actually made us swim for endurance training a few years ago, so it's not that bad. Plus I'm a pretty good swimmer anyways." When I mentioned that Clinton had made us swim, Sunny's face whitened. That was a bit odd. "You good buddy?"

"Uh, it's something I'd rather not say out loud," he said quietly. Something Sunny was afraid to admit?

Oh, he couldn't swim could he? I motioned for him to come with me. I would help him learn how to swim so he didn't have to be embarrassed in front of his group.

"Can't swim can you?" I asked as we just walked across the sand. He shook his head. A look of failure had taken over him completely. "It's alright. I'll teach you how to swim. It will be just you and me. We can come out here a couple times a week or however you want."

"It's not just that I can't swim..." He trailed off. So it was a fear then, wasn't it. "I used to be able to. Then I almost drowned one day and I've never swam again." I was right.

Fear was a thing not very many understood. Rightfully so but that is much more annoying for the rest of us that did.

"Don't worry, I ain't gonna tell anybody. Just let me know when you want to come out here and we can start." I patted his shoulder and we walked back. It was my turn again. Marcus had taken a stick of fire out into the lake as far as he could without it going out and then back. "Dare."

"Give Via a kiss. It doesn't matter how," he said with a mischievous look. I'm going to hit him later.

I sat down back in my spot next to Octavia. My hand moved her hair out of the way. I left a ghost of a kiss where the back of her jaw met her neck.

"Can we all agree that Noah would be a good boyfriend? Like dude is so gentle when it comes to Octavia and literally looks at her like she's the last woman on the fucking planet," Micah said. I'm going to hit him too. Octavia looked away from everyone, hiding the bright red on her face. "I want a girlfriend I could love that much."

I threw a small rock at him. He laughed and we continued the game for a little bit longer. After awhile we got bored and switched to tag, then hide and seek, then it started to rain.

Octavia got tired and wanted to go home but she wouldn't ask. She refused to ruin the fun the rest of us were having. How did I know? Because she was leaning against me nodding off to sleep. I moved to stand and she sat up.

"Come on, let's go home," I said softly. She nodded but I don't think she heard me. Her eyes were closed and she didn't move. "I'm taking Via home. She's falling asleep." I called to others who waved and then went back to whatever they doing. Sliding my arm under her knees, and putting the other behind her back, I picked her up. Her head rested against my chest until I put her on Ares and climbed on after wards. Tuarana followed us back to the house. I took her to her room and laid her down on the bed. She was still wearing the wet clothes.

"Hey, Princess I need you to wake up for a second," I used the nickname that I had given her. No one else called her that but me. No one else really knew I called her that.

"Hmm?"

"Wake up for a second. You need to change at least." It took a few more times until she actually did. She grabbed some clothes and almost changed in front of me. I turned around faster than I turned around when getting yelled at by Clinton. And that was fast.

Octavia laid back down on the bed. This girl and laying on top of the blankets. I moved the blankets to rest on top of her then I left.

I leaned against the door to her room. Gods be damned, she was lucky I didn't want to do anything that she wasn't comfortable with.

"You're going to kill me," I sighed.