Noah's Absence

Noah had been gone for three weeks. Micah and Marcus were being strung out as thin as possible. We all missed him. It was so different when he wasn't here with us.

He called once or twice so far but nothing else. We just assumed he was busy. Riots weren't an easy thing to deal with. Especially the ones that had weapons involved.

"Hey, Micah?" I spoke to the fire ride. He looked over at me in question. "Noah isn't coming back soon, is he?" It was a question everyone knew the answer to. Everyone except Tommy it seemed. He didn't ask questions on when his brother would be back.

"No," Micah swallowed. He had been having the hardest time out of us all. Officials called him in place of Noah. Not to mention his twin was forcing his way through the fighting. "He's not. Honestly, we'd be lucky to have him back in a year. Military Officials will probably send him to other places that are just as bad, if not worse."

That's what I thought. He had said he would be gone for a long time.

"Hey guys!" Tommy ran up to us. Micah gave me a look. 'Don't say anything.'

"Hey Tommy," he greeted. The two fist bumped. I noticed that all of the Dagen boys were pretty touch dependent with each other. A hand always on a shoulder, or legs always crossed when sitting down.

"Let's go to the lake just one more time before it gets too cold!" He was bouncing up and down quickly.

"Tommy the waters already cold. It's too late to go swimming." The younger of the two pouted. I could swim in it just fine. The cold couldn't hurt me. It was almost like a supernatural law, the element you were bonded too couldn't hurt you. Not too much anyway.

"Okay, then can we all do something else? I know Marcus is busy but I've been bored. Sunny is doing homework and I have no other friends," Tommy whined. I forget he never had to grow up like I did. He was still acting his age. Acting like a teenager.

"We can do that. How about we go down to the Underside and shop around for a little bit? I've got the money." Micah suggested. I wasn't sure about spending Micah's money. But Tommy shouted in joy.

————————

The border burned. It hadn't stopped. I had been here for so long. Smoke blocked out everything. Breathing was damn near impossible. People were dropping left and right. Our own and the enemy.

My leg had been cut. I had been cut in a lot of places. Burn marks scattered around my body as well. It wasn't anything serious though.

Ares spat flames at the enemy troops trying to force their way back in. I looked up. How many days had it been since I had seen the sun? Or was able to breathe without an oxygen mask or a cloth around my face?

Just hold out a little bit longer.

Another rider collapsed next to me. I didn't bother to check him. He was already dead. I watched as his dragon fell out of the sky and crushed some of the enemies line.

Ares screamed, disorienting any who heard it besides me. I dropped from the top of the wall. My dragon catching me in his talons and dropping me closer to the ground.

I pointed my gun and pulled the trigger. The SMG spat bullets until I let go. Men and women dropped. Blood slipping from the entry points of the bullets.

That was another thing.

The smell of iron and rotting corpses filled the air as well. It stunk. Everything here was disgusting. There was no way to effectively have water transported to us on a regular schedule. Food was scarce as well.

Those of us stuck here were suffering the consequences of something that wasn't our fault.

I reloaded. A woman tried to attack me from behind. Fire engulfed her curvy figure. She screamed in agony. I let the fires burn until she stopped breathing then I put them out.

Just a little bit longer.