Goodbyes

The border burned. We were watching live footage of another rider surveying the area. He pointed out the most destroyed areas. People still crawled about, trying to find survivors.

"It's getting worse. We're losing soldiers no matter what we do!" A councilman, Parks, complained. I grit my teeth. He was right. We were losing soldiers left and right to these riots. Granted, they were regular foot soldiers that couldn't even get a familiar. But that didn't make them any less important. "What are you doing to stop this?!"

"Gods damnit, these are my fucking soldiers! You think I don't know that they're dying?" I snapped. We had been here for hours discussing this. It was the same things said over and over. There was nothing we could do to stop it. Fighting was beginning to be an everyday routine.

The first years had started more intense training. Older students started even harder training. Those of us that were done, or upper years, were beginning to be drafted.

I would have to go out there again. This time I would possibly have to stay.

I left. There was nothing left for me in that room.

—————————

Clinton stood in the field we usually spared in. He turned to me as Ares landed.

"How did I know?" He asked. There was no sign of disappointment in his voice. In fact, he sounded a bit sad.

"They're dying," I said. Distraught didn't even begin to describe what I was feeling. "They're dying and I'm not there. They are out there dying and there is nothing I can do! People are losing their family because I sent them out!" My hands ran through my hair. I needed to go. I had to go. But I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye to Octavia and Tommy. They had been alone for so long.

"You can't keep everyone alive at all times Noah. People are going to die. There's nothing you can do to stop it." He paused for a moment. "This is about more than that. Isn't it?"

"I just got them back Clinton. We were forced apart for so long and I finally get them back, then I have to leave again? And for Gods know how long?" My voice cracked. I wasn't scared of going to the border. I just didn't want to leave the two I had just gotten back. It felt like I was abandoning them all over again.

"You don't have a choice. Without you there we lose, we get pushed back," Clinton grabbed my shoulders. His green eyes were natural. Not the glowing color that could be his dragons. "They will be safe. I'll make sure they are safe while you are gone. No matter how long that is."

Who knows how long I would be gone? Days, weeks, months, possibly a year. I ran my hands through my hair again. Helpless wasn't a feeling a I was used to.

"You should go. I can guarantee Marcus and Micah already know and will be expecting you at any moment," Clinton said. He was right. Before I could leave he pulled me into a tight embrace. "Be careful Noah. Come back to us alive, do you hear me?"

"Yeah," was all I could muster out as I hugged Clinton tighter.

I had to say goodbye to the others.

"Let's get there and deal with this so we can come back." Ares thrummed. I pulled myself away from Clinton and sucked in a breath as I turned to mount Ares.

————————

The house was quiet. Tommy and Octavia weren't there yet. Marcus was though.

He sat on the couch. His elbows digging into his knees and his forehead rested on his intertwined fingers. He look up when he heard me enter.

Marcus was crying. All that did was confirm my fears.