t w e n t y s e v e n

also this book finally has a proper cover - im literally so excited!! I hope y'all like it because I love it! It was made by the amazing:
Allium687
thank you again for making it for me!

🤡

The pain across my chest was both unimaginable and unbearable. It was a hot, searing heat, a burning that seemed to spread and spread, even after the sword was done inflicting its damage.

The world seemed to slow down in that moment. Nobody moved. I saw the old man, who I had pushed aside, stare at me in absolute horror.

He was probably confused more than anything. I was still dressed as a clown, I looked just like the people who had destroyed his town, and yet I had just possibly saved his life.

My worry was that I had shoved him too hard. So I tried to speak. "Are...you...o..."

Speaking, somehow, made the pain worse. The world spun and, within a couple of seconds, I felt my body hit the ground with a thump! I wasn't passed out yet, I was still desperately clinging to consciousness.

"Betty!" A voice yelled, sounding like a million miles away.

I knew the voice immediately. It was Buggy. All I wanted was to see him, but I physically couldn't get my eyes to open, no matter how hard I attempted to force them to.

I felt myself being lifted off the ground which caused the already horrific pain across my chest to flare up. I cried out, loud.

"It's okay," Buggy hushed in a lull. The panic in his voice was clear. It only made my own panic rise. "Stay awake, Betty. Talk to me, please."

"B... Bug..."

"Just a little bit longer. You have to stay awake, you- "

That was the last thing I heard before I slipped into unconsciousness.

I have no idea how long I was out for. It could have been two minutes, it could have been hours. I had awakened to experience even more pain than I bad been before. There was a new pain. It felt like a sharp, small, object was being pierced through my skin. Over, and over, and over again.

"Stop!" I cried out, thrashing, trying to fight whatever the hell was hurting me.

"I told you to hold her down," a female voice urged. It was one I didn't recognise.

"I don't want to hurt her."

That was Buggy's voice. My heart leapt in my chest when I heard it. I felt myself begin to sob as my vision returned to me, seeing Buggy looming over me.

His hair was a mess, he was a mess. His makeup was a complete smear, his eyes wide with panic and fear. I wanted to reach out and touch him. Wipe away the hair that was sticking to his face, but I was too busy trying to push the woman away.

"Do you want her to die?" The unfamiliar voiced asked.

"Of course not!"

"Then do it. Even if it hurts."

It did hurt. I had been using my arms to fight the lady with the needle, when I felt Buggy grab them and pin them down. It caused the pain in my chest to magnify and spread, like wildfire.