XXVII. Old Friend

Still reeling from the unexpected turn of events, I turned my attention back to the battlefield. The monsters were still pouring out from the dimensions, but my comrades and I stood our ground, determined to protect our kingdom.

"Dia," I called out to the girl with the shiny white hair, "Why did you do that?" I know Dia, she's my friend before, but she suddenly changed kaya hindi na ako lumapit sa kanya kailanman.

She looked at me, her eyes cold and emotionless. "He was a liability," she stated simply, as if that justified her actions.

I felt a surge of anger. "That's no reason to kill your own comrade!"

Dia shrugged, seemingly unfazed by my anger. "In the abyss, it's kill or be killed. He should've known better."

Her words sent a chill down my spine. How could she be so cold-hearted? But there was no time to dwell on it. We had a battle to win. "Your way of thinking is twisted, Dia," I said, my voice filled with disgust. "Your comrade was more than just a liability."

Dia's cold eyes met mine, her expression unchanged. "And yet, he's dead, and we're still alive. I'd say I made the right choice."

I clenched my fists, my anger rising. "We'll see about that."

Without another word, I charged at Dia, my sword raised. She was quick to react, blocking my attack with her spear. Our weapons clashed, sparks flying.

"You're strong," Dia said, a hint of admiration in her voice. "But not strong enough."

"I'm stronger than you think," I retorted, pushing her back.

We continued to exchange blows, neither of us giving an inch. Despite her cold-heartedness, I had to admit, Dia was a formidable opponent.

Just when I thought I had her cornered, she vanished, only to reappear behind me. Before I could react, she launched a series of attacks, forcing me to go on the defensive.

"I told you, Carmilla," Dia taunted, her spear whirling around her. "I'm stronger than you."

"Not for long," I growled, gathering my energy for a counterattack.

With a battle cry, I launched myself at Dia, my sword slashing through the air. To my surprise, she didn't block my attack. Instead, she let out a gasp as my sword cut through her.

Dia staggered back, clutching her wound. "Impossible," she muttered, her eyes wide with shock.

I smirked at her, my sword still raised. "Never underestimate your opponent, Dia."

As Dia fell to the ground, I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. I had proven her wrong. I was strong, stronger than she had ever imagined. And I would continue to fight, not just for myself, but for my friends and my kingdom. Because in the end, that's what truly mattered.

As I watched Dia fall, a thought crossed my mind. What led her to become so cold-hearted? I walked over to her, my sword lowered. "Why Dia? Why are you so heartless?"

Dia looked up at me, her eyes filled with pain. "You wouldn't understand, Carmilla," she said, her voice barely a whisper.

"Try me," I replied, my voice firm. "I want to understand."

Dia sighed, her gaze wandering to the sky. "I wasn't always like this," she began, her voice filled with a sadness I hadn't expected. "I used to be just like you, full of hope and dreams. But the abyss, it changes you."

I frowned, confusion washing over me. "Changes you? How?"

"When you're constantly fighting for survival, when you're surrounded by death and despair, you start to lose yourself," Dia explained, her voice filled with regret. "You become numb to the pain, to the loss. You do whatever it takes to survive, even if it means killing your own comrades."

I looked at Dia, my heart aching for her. I had judged her, called her heartless, but I hadn't understood her struggles. She was a victim of the abyss, just like the rest of us.