Chapter 3

"To the first day." Lucy raised her glass in cheer

"Mm." Jackson and Ember raise their drinks, Nolan following soon after, "First day." They toast.

"You want to talk about it." Lucy asked him.

"I felt him die. A guy I- I was just talking to. And I thought I was ready, but I don't think anything can prepare you for that." Nolan said dejectedly.

"I saw my first body when I was 10. My dad took me to the morgue, pulled a drawer, and there was this kid, maybe 18. O.D.'d on oxy."

"That's some questionable parenting right there." Lucy said, to which Ember answered, "Preach."

"I'm sorry. Didn't your folks put you in therapy at the same age?" Jackson jabbed at Lucy.

"They were trying to teach me coping skills."

"Yeah, so was my dad. You know, this job is a magnifying glass. It reveals everything, especially the parts you're trying to hide. And don't act all holier than thou, Red. Knowing your antics, your parents put you through some crazy stuff."

"Depends, does chasing your neighbor's livestock away to prevent your stepfather's trigger happy fingers from getting you into trouble count as 'crazy stuff'?" She smiled while taking a sip from her drink. Her friends just looked at her like she was a crazy person.

"I could get you in touch with some really great therapists, if you're interested." Lucy told Ember.

"I don't need a therapist, I have you. Let me be your emotional science experiment."

Some time passed, and Jackson and Lucy had a karaoke session. Ember paid for hers and Lucy's drinks and said her goodbyes to the group. As she was walking to her bike, she was stopped by a familiar voice.

"Officer Ross? I don't think we officially met, I'm..."

"Officer Reed, you're Lucy's T.O."

"Please, we're clocked out, call me Oliver." Reed puts out his hand, which Ember shakes. "Then it's only fair you call me Ember."

"Turning in for the night?"

"Yeah. Still have a few things to sort out at home, and start getting ready for tomorrow." Ember told him, wearing her gloves and getting her helmet. Reed was impressed by her ride.

"Is she yours?" Pointing at her bike. Ember beamed and nodded, "Got her my first year of college. My pride and joy. I call her McQueen." Reed laughed, "After the main character from the Pixar movie Cars? I hope it lives up to its namesake."

"I'm surprised you're familiar with the cartoon."

"Well, when you have two toddlers at home, these kinds of things become second nature." Reed fished out his phone to show her a picture of his family. Ember cooed at the adorable picture.

"Anyway, I was heading to meet up with the others, so I won't keep you. Have a great night, Ember."

"Likewise, Oliver. Tell your kids I think they're cool just for watching a classic." "Will do."

Reed met up with his friends at the bar down the street.

"Remember the bike we were ogling earlier in the parking lot?" he asked the group, while waving to the waiter to take his drink.

"How can we forget, Bradford couldn't stop talking about how he wants the number of the girl riding it." Lopez said

"How'd you find out it was a girl?" Bishop asked, to which Bradford answered, "Smitty saw a girl riding it in, but he didn't see her face. And can you blame me? You know a girl with such machinery is someone you got to know, and if it leads somewhere, who am I to stop it?" He wore a wicked smirk thinking about the bike and its rider.