Four

"I do. He's a sweetheart. Come on, I'll show you where you can crash, then I'll introduce you to my danger noodle."

The cute name for a snake wasn't enough to dull the dread of knowing you owned an actual snake in the first place. Connor's system kept throwing warning messages in his face, but if he had to endure a filthy, scaly monster to be in close proximity to you, then it was a price he'd pay.

[Wait. Why? This is entirely optional. I do not have to live here in Hank's absence. I do not care what kind of pets she owns; I can leave at any time.]

"Here, hon, you'll be in this room," came your melodic tone, pulling the android from his rational thinking. "I'm not sure what your living situation is like at Hank's, but... I put the pillowtop mattress in here cause I just bought a new bed."

His head tilted like a puppy. "Pillowtop? I have not laid on one before, though based on the name alone, I expect it to be comfortable. Do you prefer a specific kind of bed?"

"Everyone sleeps differently. Back, side, stomach... some wild amalgamation of any of the above."

You were gazed at thoughtfully. "And how do you sleep, Sergeant?"

"Naked."

Five solid minutes passed before the prototype was able to pry himself from the floor. Setting the suitcase on the bed for the time being, your partner sought your heat reading and approached swiftly. "Sergeant, what are your intentions with me?"

Peering into the open freezer, his demand made you look up. "Come again? What do you mean?"

The color in the RK800's cheeks was steadily growing deeper. "You are flirting with me."

Was that it? "Yeah. I am. If it bothers you, tell me."

[BOTHERS ME?!]

"Why do you insist on it?" Connor hissed, strangely unable to meet your eyes.

Shutting the freezer, you took a slow step towards him. "Like I said, if it bothers you, tell me. I'm not insisting on it, I just enjoy flirting sometimes. But again... if it bothers you, I'll stop."

"Sergeant. Just... do not dance around my question. It's simple: tell me why you keep flirting with me." The prototype seemed so incredibly agitated that you were wondering if you'd genuinely insulted the kid.

"I already told you. You're cute as fuck. Harmless flirting is just that: harmless. If I insulted you, I'm sorry." Turning back to your fridge, the freezer door was opened again, blocking his view of whatever you were doing. "Look, I don't know why I do it, okay? But if you're trying to say that it's weird because you're an android--"

"I am!"

"--Then why would that bother me?" Shutting the door again, there was a wrapped plastic bag in one hand. "You know I always supported you. I don't give a shit what color you bleed, Connor; CyberLife sent us an incredibly handsome android, and if he's okay with it, I'm gonna flirt."

As you brushed past with the bag in your grasp, the android was stuck in place again, thought process lagging like an Atari.

[...... handsome...!]

One hand rose slowly, covering where the fuel pump regulator thumped in his chest.

[...... how do I proceed from this? She enjoys casual flirting, but... no one has ever desired to flirt with me before.]

Before he was able to force his legs to function, you came back, putting the bag in the freezer once more before standing in front of him. "Connor, honey. Talk to me. Do you want me to back off?"

"--No!!" came his immediate answer, more eager than he'd have liked to admit. "I-I mean, no, I... I... enjoy... th-the attention..."

Posture lowering a touch, you bit at your lower lip, arms crossed. "...... I don't think you're used to much outside of the precinct. Listen... I... I'm very open, okay? And if at any point you want me to leave you alone, you have to tell me. Because outside of the bullpen is a very different person than you're used to seeing."

"Sergeant, I'm not bothered by your personal life. What you call your head count. I am merely stunned that you find me worthy of any kind of attention." How he went that long without noticing the living creature around your arm was a mystery, but the moment the RK800 caught the bright white snake inching up your arm, he stiffened visibly.

"Come here, baby," you cooed, maneuvering Jules until he'd tangled around your forearm, which you held up. "Sweetie, this is Connor. He's a little afraid of you but once he gets used to you, I'm sure he'll love you, too."

The reptile was a gorgeous pure white, with blue eyes and an almost curious air about him. He seemed to stare into the prototype's core, tongue flicking out every few seconds.

"He's just under five feet long, and won't get longer. Julius is a Leucistic Ball Python, and he cost me about $750 because of his coloring."

After the initial shock had passed, your partner seemed to settle, indicator a calm blue. "I can see why; the purity of the white would indicate albinism at first, though his eyes say selective breeding."

"He's very chill. Likes to bask in his tank. It might take a bit for him to warm up to you, but be cautious and gentle, and soon he'll want to wrap around your arm, too."

As if to prove he was making an effort, the android lowered his head a bit to see Julius eye to eye. The python lifted his head, tasting the air, but didn't react negatively.

Then Jules began to stretch, unwrapping himself from your arm to get to Connor. "Oh damn, he really wants to meet you. Sorry, honey, I'll put him ba--"

In the midst of trying to gather up your baby, your partner held a hand out for the snake to slither into. Within moments Connor had your python wrapping his arm leisurely, making his way up towards the broad shoulder.

All you could really do was stare. "... Snakes never take to a stranger like that. Not that he's temperamental, it's just..." You had no words.

[x][x][x]

In all honesty, you'd hoped that the remainder of the week would be easy. The next morning went fine; despite his initial fright, your partner took to your python quite easily, and vice versa.

Feeding Julius would be a task you wouldn't ask of Connor, regardless.

Standing at the coffee machine in the waiting area, a familiar and rough voice spoke up beside you. "So you're letting Connor crash with you?"

Nodding, you turned towards the other detective. "Yup. Good morning to you, too, Gav. I'm guessing he said something?"

"He's researching ball pythons at his desk." Arms crossed, Reed's charming eyes met yours. "... should I give him a crash course before he's in over his head?"

"Over his head how?" The bite in the question made Gavin squirm. "He didn't like going back to Hank's place and being alone. That's pretty fucking human if you ask me."

"Just sayin', you've got a track record, dolcezza," he mumbled into his coffee.

"Is that what you think? That I suggested he stay with me just so I can get the poor kid into my bed?"

"If the shoe fits."

"Go take a long walk off a short pier, Reed."

Opening his mouth to clapback again, Connor's sharp outcry cut him off: "SERGEANT!!"

Both you and Reed darted out of the waiting area to find the source of the android's shout, but it wasn't hard to locate: Connor wasn't alone.

With the vague, crooked smile their models were known for, Cloud took long, leisurely steps towards you, hands behind his back. His attire was as sharp as ever, shoes clicking quietly on the flooring, leather whip coiled and attached to his hip. "Good morning, sunflower," the RK900 cooed, piercing eyes landing on the detective beside you- scruffy and unkempt in comparison. "... and to you, Detective Reed, I say hello."

"Who the fuck are you?" the male spat.

Connell pointed towards where the RK800 still stood, having gotten up in his shock. "I'm him, but a top."