chapter 13

Aayushi

I actually forgot what happened after that.

To be fair, it was a blur and I was exhausted, I was in no state to remember clearly what was going on.

All I knew was that one second she was there and the next she was gone.

Most importantly, she was safe, out of danger... for now.

Artemis just put a gun to the leader of a fucking crime gang. As a member of the same gang, I seriously doubt our leader is going to let it slide.

Ready to leave, I sulk towards the entrance but Harbour stops me, looking thunderously angry, as expected. After Artemis had mysteriously vanished, the room was in chaos but also in relief. There was a group of people who sagged in relief and another who angrily started to swear their oaths of her destruction.

Harbour just remained fuming quiet, and drank a lot. I had just stared into space.

Harbour called me over and I sullenly strode over, propping my arm on the table, "What?"

"Updates, I want good ones girl."

"I'll give them to you soon enough." I snap.

"Girl, this isn't a vacation assignment. We could all die if you fail us." He snarls.

"Oh no," I return sarcastically, "Sounds like a problem for a 16 year old teenager."

"I am warning you, I am still your master no matter how high and mighty you may think you are."

"I told you I will tell you soon," I snap back, "Are you deaf?"

"I need an exact deadline," He growls.

I wave my hand dismissively, "Next Sunday."

His eyes bulge, "That's five days."

"Well, I'm the only one who isn't dumb in your whole gang so you are going to have to deal with it." I sneer, too annoyed and tired to deal with this whole shitshow.

His mouth quivers but then his lips pull into a sneer, "Very well, then, I have another assignment for you."

I groan and throw my hands up, "What?"

I pulled out my phone and messaged Adi to get me Mcdonald's, as he rapped his knuckle impatiently.

"Go on?" I snap, my eyes still stuck on my phone as I send the message.

"Kill this person." He hands me a slip of paper, with an air of impatience.

I take it and glance at the name before looking up curiously, "Carl Owens?" I say skeptically, "Isn't he a friend?"

Harbour's jaw twitched, "You are an assassin, no need to ask all these questions, just kill him and don't get caught."

"Okay," I say, "But what did he do?"

"I just said, don't ask all these questions!"

"I want to know so I can decide how I can kill him." I snap back, my eyes darting to my phone, trying to see if Adi agreed to get me my Mcdonald's.

"I don't care how you kill him, just make sure he's dead and you're not caught." He growls, rising to leave, but just before he walks into his office, his voice lowers threateningly, "I need updates, girl."

I stare back at him impassively and stand up, tucking my knife into my back pocket.

I don't need people telling me what to do.

...

Turns out that Adi got my Mcdonald's order wrong.

"Didn't I say chicken nuggets?" I say in disbelief, poking at the burger.