chapter 2

Aayushi has been acting weird

She is checking her bag a lot more than usual. And she doesn't seem to notice my concerned glances at her.

Giselle already left the swimming pool and Aayushi and I are the last ones to leave the pool, only because it's time to eat dinner. We are walking back to our dorms and the silence is more pronounced than ever, when I turn to check on her. One small problem, she isn't there.

I whirl around, and dash back, stopping at a hallway, where I see her figure walking off, towards the carpark?

"Aayushi!" I call at her. She doesn't turn around, but just continues walking, her back facing me but I know it's her.

"Aayushi!" I shout again, running towards her, and she suddenly jerks to a stop as if jerking out of a trance.

"Aayushi-" I halt and grab her arm, "Are you okay?"

She looks startled, eyes wide, and glances at me, confused as ever, "What?"

I sigh, exasperated, "Aayushi, stop playing with me. Why were you walking to the carpark?"

"I'm not playing-" She snaps, "What do you mean, walking to the carpark?" She asks, furrowing her eyebrows, looking annoyed and confused.

A chill runs up my spine, "You- You don't remember?"

Aayushi frowns at me, "This isn't very funny, Artemis." She wrenches out of my grip and marches in the opposite direction before she suddenly halts again.

Aayushi turns around, looking disoriented, "Wait- isn't this the way to the carpark?"

She thought I was joking. She always does.

"I wasn't joking." I tell her, without a smile or laughing eyes, "You really were walking there."

Aayushi gapes at me, and I realize, that she is afraid of what I might be implying. That she is insane, maybe.

"I-" Her look of annoyance is morphing to a look of dazed bewilderment and shock. "That's not possible - I would know."

The dinner bell rings and we both turn our heads in the direction of the dining hall instinctively.

"Let's talk about this later." I suggest, and to my relief and probably hers too, we both walk in silence to the dining hall.

Was she sleepwalking? I frown. But she was wide awake. Perhaps she was just tired.

Aayushi, has been my best friend for almost 5 years, and over time, I learnt that she is bad at covering her emotions. She shows anger easily, shows annoyance easily but she also shows happiness easily as well. Most of it is annoyance at me, but c'mon, I know she loves me.

I know it is true especially now, because she is silent throughout dinner, even though dinner is her favorite stew.

Unlike her, I am particularly good at hiding my emotions.