chapter 14

Adrian

I'll be coming home late tonight, another murder.

Dad's message is short, but it already seizes my attention.

"Mom!" I shout from my room, and when she doesn't reply, I slouch over to the kitchen, where I am sure she is.

"Mom," I say again, "Did you see Dad's message?"

My mom looks up warily, "I did," She sighs heavily, "I have no idea when he will be back."

"Can I go to the station?"

"No!" She says, as though I am crazy.

No, I am definitely not, in fact, I just want to learn from professionals, and it has been ages since a real murder has happened.

Call me nosy, call me a no life brainer, but I am seriously invested in all this gang drama.

"C'mon," I start, although it sounds bad already, "I am seventeen already, why can't I go and just take a look? I won't poke and pry." I say, raising my hands as though surrendering.

My mom raises an eyebrow at me, "Adrian Ong, I am your mother, and I am more than a hundred percent sure you definitely will be poking and prying in your father's business."

"No, I won't."

"Yes, you will."

"I promise I won't." I start again, "I just want to see what it's like."

"Last time I brought you, you had nightmares for months!"

"Last time you brought me, I was seven!"

She sighs and sips her tea, "Fine, fine, you teenagers just love to argue with parents, don't y'all? You can go, but if I hear a word about you being their way, you are going to get the lecture of a lifetime when you get back!"

"Don't worry, don't worry, I would never do that." I grin, grabbing my motorcycle keys, "I will be safe, and I will not be an annoying brat!"

"I doubt that." My mother replies drily. I snort on my way out, but eagerly drive all the way to the station.

I would like to make myself clear, I do not enjoy people getting murdered, I just find the investigation interesting. My dad is a police captain and ever since I was young, I have always wanted to join the police force. Unfortunately, my mother seems rather against the idea.

When I pull up the police department building, it's clear that there is a ongoing investigation. There are several police cars, sirens blaring as police officers run around.

I park my motorcycle away from the chaos and run into the building, dodging the police busily moving about.

I run first to my Dad's office, but he finds me first, in the hallway near the questioning rooms.

"Adrian?" He says, as though surprised, "Why are you here? It's late."

"I want to see what the investigation is like," I say, a slight defensive edge to my voice, "I won't get in your way, I promise."

My dad sighs, "And you got your mom to agree to let you come here?"

"Surprisingly yes," I say, "What happened?"

Dad jerks his head towards one of the rooms, "Someone was murdered in a pub, his escort was attacked too, unconscious when we arrived."