🦋 9 🦋

Waking up entangled between Bucky's hulking limbs had not been the way you'd expected to wake up that morning

Half of you was expecting to roll over onto Steve, but then reality struck you.

You were alone with Bucky.

An initial feeling of shame, and then guilt, stabbed at your heart thinking about the fact you had enjoyed being with Bucky so much. Whilst Steve, the love of your life, was potentially fighting, hurt, or in danger.

You felt terrible.

But you'd have to get used to that. It was the arrangement. He'd given you permission after all.

It was still so fucking weird though. You would work on trying to get your head around it.

You moved carefully, turning around in Bucky's large arms to see him breathing steadily, his even paced breaths letting you know he was still asleep.

For once.

You remembered that he said last night he'd found it hard to sleep in a bed with you and Steve. It made sense.

From what Steve had told you about Bucky's past, he could have terrible night terrors. Sometimes, it would be like he hadn't left his dream into the waking world for days after, the shell shock still evident even when he was conscious.

You knew Bucky had suffered so much. They all had. But his past in particular was the one that made your heart hurt the most.

You were glad he felt comfortable enough to finally fall asleep next to you.

He looked so peaceful too. His eyebrows are smooth, not drawn together, his facial expression is soft. You take a minute to admire his form as he's half in the sheets and half out, his muscles and glistening skin on display like a great art piece.

Concentrating on the scars that litter his shoulder where the skin meets metal, you feel his pain as if it was your own.

You couldn't care less that Bucky had this contraption. It was part of what made him, him. But you could tell he hated it and what it'd stood for.

Tracing light circles with your fingers, ever so carefully, amongst the marked surface of his body, you smile to yourself as you feel how lucky you are.

The small action causes Bucky to stir, sighing deeply and stretching as his eyes groggily open. He seems shocked at first to see you, before seemingly remembering where he is. His gaze trails down to your fingertips against him, raising his free hand to clasp yours, kissing each of your digits.

"Morning sleepyhead." You murmur as you smile against his chest, looking up at him.

He returns it tenfold, moving both hands to wrap around your torso now, still bare from last night. He pulls you into him tightly. You feel safe.