🦋 6 🦋

You hadn't needed a fancy proposal

You hadn't needed a fancy proposal. Even though Steve was traditional in his values, once he'd told you he was making you his wife, that was more than enough for you.

Despite this, the very next day he went out and bought a ring, and in your apartment, got down on one knee as you lay in bed, sprawled across the sheets.

You feel your chest tighten at the realisation this was actually happening. Never in your wildest dreams did you think someone this perfect would come into your reality.

He opens the velvet, red heart shaped box as he looks up at you with tears in his eyes.

You sit eagerly on the edge of the bed facing him, already feeling tears fall down your face. Your chest felt paper thin as your heart beat heavily against it.

He had snuck off early this morning and now he was kneeling in front of you, about to declare his love.

"Sweetheart. I know this feels rushed, but as soon as you put the idea into my head, I had to make it happen. I can't wait any longer to spend the rest of my life with you." He began as you put a hand to your mouth, stifling a loud sob as you beam at him.

He sniffs hard himself, also overcome with emotion.

"I've been eyeing up this ring for a while in a local antique store. It's from the 1950s, and I always thought that would be the decade I'd settle down if it was going to ever happen. So although it might not be your style, it'd give me immense honour if you wore it for me." He says softly.

"Will you do me the absolute privilege of being my wife?" Steve asks, still nerves ringing through his tone despite the fact you wanted nothing more.

You feel your heart soar so high you're sure it leaves your body. You nod vigorously.

"Yes, Steve, I'd be honoured to marry you. And the ring is perfect!" You choke as you leap up, throwing your arms around his neck, forgetting about the ring for a moment and just wanting to hold him close.

He laughs as he stands the two of you up, twirling you around in his arms, your own tears mixing with each others as you pepper the other in kisses.

He finally puts you down, taking your left hand and sliding the ring on. It fits, perfectly.

You hold it up to the light, seeing the way it shimmers and refracts.

"Steve, honestly this is beautiful. I adore that this is a little token from your time. I love it." You mumble as you can't stop the happy cries leaving your body.

He strokes the hair off your face and behind your ears lovingly.

"We can get you another if you'd prefer. I'd like you to choose our wedding bands. But something has been pulling me to it for a while now. I think it's the one I'd have chosen if we'd have met back in the day." He says, suddenly shy.