Chapter 25

Carlisle's golden eyes stared at the leaders of the vampires on the wall. Their red eyes seemed to gleam at him with intelligence disguised as arrogance. Three women were side by side dressed in black as if they were going to a funeral. The woman on the right sat still in a refined lace dress that covered her pale white legs in compliment with her black heels. Her strawberry hair curled down her enticing collarbone trying to shield her petite shaped face. Her ruby eyes were turned from the viewer and one hand was propped underneath her chin and the other gripped the edges of her golden throne. Crisscrossing across the throne were vines accentuated with thorns and roses which only added to the regal beauty of the master who sat in it. 

On the left a woman sat sideways on throne that was similar to her counterpart but different. Her seat was depicted a scene with men and women up in arms with determined faces and underlying judgment ready to chop their foes down by any means necessary. Her legs covered in black slacks zigzagged over each other as she slouched sideways with a bored expression on her face. Her crimson eyes bore into the onlooker in concealed annoyance as she held her right hand underneath her cheek. Her left hand betrays her sense of laxness as it grips the silver hilt of a sharpened sword laying on her lap. 

It was the one in the middle that drew Carlisle in the most, the leader as most call her, the one who showed him kindness as much as cruelty. Her dark pink lips parted in a grin that most would say is unnerving as her white pointy fangs peak out enticing anyway brave enough to approach. Her pale hands gripped the silver wolf head of the black cane as she stood with her legs apart. Her jet black hair spread across her suited shoulders as she tilted it to the side as if to beckon a servant. Her suit was fitted and clean as if it had been freshly tailored and the red tie was loose but neat as it fell across her chest. The vest was striped in white to compliment the buttoned shirt underneath and at her feet were shiny shoes trimmed with red. The most dangerous thing of all was that her eyes were darker in color than the others almost dripping in burgundy. 

Her throne sat behind her unused as she never had much use for it. Only a glimpse of it could be seen but Carlisle remembered it well. Instead of being gold it was shiny black with wolves etched into it howling at the moon. It had always intrigued him because no one would ever guess that the leading Queen Sulpicia would ever have such a connection the most hated counterparts of the vampire race. Yet, she did. Looking at Athenadora (the left) and Didyme (the right) Carlisle is always grateful as much as terrified to call them friends because without them he never would have been able to understand the dynamics of vampiric nature and adaptation to live and teach others. Something that his Alaska "cousins" are quick to forget in their personal hatred for a crime that was in his eyes more despicable than he could ever admit. 

He pinched his nose as he stared and stared at the painting. What could that dragon possibly want Bella to do with them? Going into that territory is familiar to me but unknown to them. I'm not sure that they will be as quick to adapt and understand. In the Volturi there is a simplicity to respect and authority unheard of anywhere else. I fear that we are sending a newborn lamb into a lions den. 

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of knocking at his door, "Come in Rosalie."

Rosalie's lips quirked up in a smile, "How do you always know it's me? I've lived with you guys for decades and even I don't know footsteps that well."

Carlisle chuckled in amusement, "A good father always knows his children. Now, what can I do for you?" 

"When need to discuss the plan for the Volturi. I feel uneasy walking into an atmosphere that I'm unfamiliar with especially when dealing with them. Not to mention we're talking abouch approaching the queens. Bella hasn't been in this that long and I..I just don't want for something bad to happen. Hence a plan."

Carlisle's eyes flashed for a moment in worry before he sat down in his brown leather chair. "Honestly, there are a few rules we need to go over as a group. You all have seen some of the members underneath the queen but you've never met the queen's themselves. There are certain aspects there that are much different than those of regular covens. They are traditional in the old vampiric ways and it can be helpful in some points but a hindrance in others."

Rosalie's blonde brows seemed to twist before Carlisle's hand reached for hers in comfort. "Trust me Rosalie I will not let anything happen to any of you. Even if I have to tear them limb from limb. I will not lose you, Bella, or anyone else. This I promise."

The younger vampire's eyes widened in surprise but eased at the knowledge that her coven leader—no her father would be there with her every step of the way. Bella was everything but they were still getting to know each other. Sometimes it is good to still have some familiarity in this life. "So for now...?"

"For now be with your newly found mate and we will all talk tomorrow. I need to make some arrangements for our departure. Lord knows that the last thing we need is more worries to deal with", and with one last pat on her hand he stood up and walked back to the painting. Her yellowish eyes followed his eyes to the three women. A chill crawled up her spine in wonder maybe fear? Shaking her head she turned away to go see her beloved with the hope that there would be no surprises, but who was she kidding? When it came to Bella there was always surprises.