Chapter 171

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

He is mine for eternity.

I kept sobbing while holding him tightly, finding my peace and comfort in his arms. He kept stroking my back, soothing me with so much care and love in his caressing. That incident somehow took away my anxiety. I realised it was not good for me or the baby if I kept feeling anxious all the time. So I decided to stay happy and live every moment to the fullest with my loved ones.

It's been a month since he was discharged from the hospital. His wounds have healed completely, but they are still tender. He no longer has to badge it because a scar was forming on the wound. The doctor has told him to take complete bed rest for his wounds to heal fully internally. I won't let him step down from the bed unless he wants to use the washroom, but he never listens to me. After a week or two, when he was discharged, he started to stroll around the house freely. Whenever I step out of the bedroom, he takes it as an opportunity to roam around or play with Neil. Both of them have been scolded by me more than a hundred times this past month, but they still refuse to listen to me. Both father and son are becoming more and more uncontrollable. 

"Dada, let's go and play," I heard Neil whispering to his father. I was sitting on the couch and peeling apples. The couch was not that far from the bed, and I could hear him. He placed his hand on his mouth and giggled when Skyler whispered something in his ear. I couldn't hear what he said. I pretend to be busy peeling the apples. I knew something was cooking between them again. I was done cutting apples. I looked in their direction, and their whispering stopped. They pretend as if they were not making a plan behind my back. It was adorable to see Neil shuffle with a smile. I stood up with a palate in my hand and placed it in front of them. 

"If you both are done planning, finish these apple slices. You must be tired from all the whispering," I asked, making both of them look at me with wide eyes. I moved my head in amusement and walked out of the room. They will do what they want, even if I stop them. My scolding does not affect both father and son. I decided to save my energy and use it to cook dinner for us. I got busy cooking. I was stirring the pot when two masculine arms got wrapped around me. They rested on my stomach and stroked me with love. His intoxicating scent engulfed me. 

"Skyler, what are you doing out of bed? How many times have I told you not to?" I said this while looking at him with furrowed brows from the side. 

"How many times have I told you not to cook without me?" he said while snuggling his face in my neck. He asked me to bring vegetables so he could chop them. Even though I told him I could handle it, he still helps me with cooking because he doesn't want me to get tired from working all day. He helps me with all the small chores around the house, like folding clothes and changing bed sheets. 

"You don't need to tire yourself out so much. We can hire a housekeeper and cook," he said while turning me around to face him. He had told me this many times. 

"We don't need house help now. I can do everything. I don't get tired; I have a habit of doing house chores, and on top of that, it's good for me and the baby if I work," I said, not wanting to hire any house help. 

"You need to take care of both of you, and I don't want anything else," he said again while lovingly stroking my still-flat belly. It's been three months, and I have still not started to show.

"I used to work like this even when I was pregnant with Neil. That time I couldn't get any job in the office, so I ended up working part-time in a convenience store until I was eight months pregnant," I explained to him, remembering those days. 

"Everyone helped me so much. Teenagers working in the store never let me lift anything heavy. My back hurts so much from sitting for long shifts as a cashier. The lady who owned the store even gave me a pillow so I could sit comfortably on a chair. It didn't help much, but it was comfortable. They all were so good to me," I said with a smile on my face. Those days were hard, but I was happy that I was carrying Neil. I was happy that I was going to be a mother. Every night, that excitement took away my tiredness. A soft look crossed his face when I said that. He cupped my face, making me look at him.

"I'm so proud of you. You have gone through such pain carrying our child, and I'm sorry that I was not there to help you. I'm such a terrible father," he said while kissing my forehead. 

"No, you are the best father our kids could have. The situation was not in your favour in the past, but now I have you. You have saved us by putting your life in danger," I said while lightly touching the bullet scar on his chest. I can't even imagine what would have happened that day if he hadn't saved us. He took hold of my hand and pressed it to his lips. 

"It's nothing compared to what you have gone through in the past. I'm ready to take thousands of bullets to go back and change everything," he said with regret and desperation to change before his eyes. 

"I don't want you to change anything. Our past has shaped us into the people we are now. Things were always meant to be like that, and we can never go against God's plan. He has always stored only the best things for us. I want you to let go of the past and live today. We have to keep moving and make the most of our second chance. Not many get it," I said while cupping his face and asking him to accept our fates. He nodded his head and swallowed back the tears. We can't control or change anything that has happened in the past. What has happened has happened. We have to keep moving because life keeps going. It never stops for anyone, so it's just a waste of time crying over spilled milk. I wiped the tear that had slipped from the corner of his eyes. 

"You are right. We should make the best of our second chance," he said with a smile on his face, and tears still rolled down his face even though he tried to control them. I again wiped them with both of my thumbs. I smiled at him as tears slid from my eyes, seeing this grown man crying like a baby. I moved forward and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me tightly. We both stood there, taking a step forward towards embracing our past for the best. Every day, we will embrace a small part of our past. It won't be easy, but we will do our best. We have to keep moving forward from our past and continue walking into the future.

Because life goes on, so should we.

_______________________________________
A/N
Get early access to new chapters on Patreon.
Ashes of a Lie Completed.
Stolen Secretary Completed.

Bed of Nails up to chapter 63.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to Chapter 26.

To know more search PatreonBlueDragon95 to find me.

Vote, comment, and share.