Chapter 111

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

S

he is Skyler's wife.

I remember her name flashing on his cell phone that day. My sweet Irene—that's what name flashed on the screen. My throat was clogged with bitter emotions as I kept looking at her. All my thoughts ran wild in my head. Why is she here? Does she know about me and Neil? Of course she does; how would she recognise me if she didn't? All the guilt of getting indulged by a married man came rushing to me. I had been dreading this day since I learned he was a married man. Meeting her in person always felt like a nightmare to me. I swallowed the big lump and pushed it down my throat. I found her faintly smiling at me during the prolonged silence between us. I did the same, pushing my emotions to the side. I opened my mouth to invite her in.

"Irene," I heard a surprised and excited voice from behind me. I shifted to the side, letting her walk inside the house.

"Sky," she said cheerfully, walking inside as if she had done it many times. My heart winced when she called him by his nickname in her sweet voice. I lifted my eyes and looked at them. She hugged him, and he engulfed her in a bear hug. I looked away while doing my best to swallow my bitter emotions. I cried that day when new reports showed him holding hands with his mystery woman. I had just seen a blurred image of her holding his hand, and now that blurred image had a beautiful face, and they were hugging in front of my eyes. My eyes sting, and I look up to stop myself from crying in front of them like a stupid, miserable woman. I had no right to feel like this. It's been four years, and he has moved on, and I should be thankful that he was helping me with my son's surgery too. I know he is his son too, but on terms, we parted. He wanted nothing to do with me. I decided to bring my son into this world, so it is my responsibility to take care of him.

"Where is Neil?" she asked in the same excitement as soon as they broke the hug.

"He is inside playing with the new toys you sent for him another day," Skyler replied in the same tone. He had a huge grin on his face as he talked with her.

"Come, let's go in; I'm dying to meet him," she said eagerly while taking hold of his arm. She dragged him inside, and I looked away when I saw him looking at me for a split second. I acted to close the door while showing him my back. I was hiding my face, which was giving away too much of my inner turmoil. I heard their descending steps, and only when their voices faded as they walked into the living room did I turn around. I pressed my back against the door and took a few deep breaths.

"You can do it. You don't love him anymore. I have Neil, and he is enough for me to spend my rest of life happily," Pep talked before following them inside. When I walked into the room, I found her sitting on the couch in front of Neil with a huge grin on her face. He was on Skyler's lap, hiding his face from her. Neil was peeking at her from Skyler's chest in shyness. I stood in the corner, looking at them. My mind started to compare us without me knowing. She screamed money with her perfect figure, clad in a branded dress and bag. Her hair was perfectly done, with minimal makeup on it. I was looking at the total opposite of myself. I was standing here in my old t-shirt and jeans with my hair tied up in a messy bun. They looked so picture-perfect together, and I was nowhere near that picture. I found it hard to swallow the bitter lump of reality.

"Hey, my name is Irene. What's your name?" she persuades him in her soft voice. Neil again hid his face in Skyler's chest. It made Skyler snicker at her, and she glared at him.