Chapter 136

***Follow me here and on Instagram and vote***

"You love me, huh?"

I was surprised when he said that. My body went stiff when I heard that. So he heard it all. I opened my mouth to defend myself. But I couldn't form words. I don't even know why I felt like defending myself. Maybe because he heard something he shouldn't have. I tried to get up from his lap, but he wouldn't let me go.

"I know you need time, and I'm ready to give my whole life to you," he whispered when he sensed my hesitation and distress.

"I know you still don't trust me enough to say what you feel. I don't blame you because the reason behind this is me. I broke your trust when you trusted me the most. I abandoned you when you needed me the most. Every time I think about it, I feel ashamed of my wrongdoing towards you. So many times, I wished to go back to the past and change everything. So many times, I beat myself up. Things would have been so much better for us. I know I don't deserve you, but you are still giving a chance to a person like me," he said, and I could feel his voice turning heavy with each word. It cracked in the end, and he took a deep breath before continuing. Tears started to well up in my eyes.

"I will work hard, and one day I will get your trust back," he said in his heavy voice, meaning each word.

"One day." His voice had determination. I looked up, trying to swallow my tears. I sniffed while still looking up.

"I will wait for that day," I said in my cracking voice with a very heavy heart. He burned his face in my neck, and his body shuddered slightly when I said that. His hands became tighter on my waist. Tears started to blur my vision, and I did my best not to let them fall. I need to be strong. Strong for both of us. We stayed like that; I don't know until when. Lost and, at the same time, trapped in our past mistakes. I know dwelling on it won't help either of us. At some point, we both have to let it go. To free ourselves from all our sorrow and resentment, which have been eating us from the inside for the past four years. I was in my mother's room, busy helping mom sort her clothes in the closet, when Skyler knocked on the door.

"Skyler, why are you standing there? Come inside?" My mother said when she found him standing at the door.

"No, I'm good. I just wanted to know when you would both get ready. We have to go shopping and then finalise the cake," Skyler said politely while looking at us.

"Oh, I completely forgot about that," I said while slapping my forehead. I was still lost in my thoughts, and it slipped out of my mind.

"I'm sorry. I got you busy with my work, and it made you forget an important thing," my mother said apologetically while looking at her clothes.

"You don't need to apologise," Skyler said even before I could say it.

"Yes, you don't need to. I came to help you, not the other way around," I said in my soft voice. I know my mother is not used to staying with someone else, and I can sense her nervousness. She still smiled apologetically.

"Now both of you get ready. I will take Neil with me. I will change his clothes," Skyler said, looking at Neil, who got up in excitement to go out.

"No, both of you go. What will I do there? If you want, you can leave Neil with me. I will take care of him until you return." My mother said it hesitatingly. I could sense again that she didn't want to burn us.

"Mom," Skyler said, suddenly making her look at him with wide eyes.

"I hope I can call you that," he said with a sheepish smile on his face while scratching the back of his head. I was once again surprised today. We were all silent for a minute.

"Of course you can," my mother said with a smile on her face.

"Thank you. It's my first time calling someone mom," he said with a genuine smile on his face. I know Skyler's mother died while giving birth to him. Calling my mother Mom was a big thing for him.

"Now I won't take a no. Mom, get ready, and we are all going out," Skyler said with a tone that said he wouldn't accept no as an answer. My mother nodded in agreement with a smile. We all got ready and left the house in half an hour. We first went to finalise the cake. Thank God Skyler has appointed a party planner, and they will handle the rest. What we would have done in such a short time was in our hands. We just have to select the cake, and then they will do the rest. We selected chocolate cake, or, to be precise, Neil selected chocolate cake. His love for chocolate After that, we went to the mall to get him a birthday dress. Skyler wanted him to wear a tuxedo. He wanted both of them to wear navy blue tuxedos. After roaming for two hours in a big shop, we finally got it. Neil loved it very much when we tried it on him. He looked so cute in it. My mother took pictures to make it her screen saver.

"Are you going shopping with the girls, or should we buy the dress for both of you now?" Skyler asked me while handing the bags to his bodyguard. He took Neil from my hands, which were doing grabby hands to him.

"I don't have time to go with girls. Tomorrow we have an appointment with the doctor, and my brother is also coming with his family. I think we should do all the shopping today itself," I said while looking at him. He nodded his head in understanding. I too bought a navy blue dress because Neil wanted all of us to match. My mom was refusing to buy anything. She said she had new clothes, but when Skyler insisted, she couldn't refuse. I even bought a cute dress for my niece. She will look like an angel in it. We decided to have dinner in a restaurant because we were all tired from roaming around the mall. We sat at our table, and a waiter came to take our orders. We placed our orders. Neil wanted to pee, so Skyler took him to the bathroom. I was busy talking with my mother about birthday planning and all the invitations we had to send when someone suddenly called my name.

"Oh my God. It's really you, Hazel!" that familiar excited voice said. I was surprised to see her. A mere, not-so-excited whisper left my mouth.

"Mia" 

_______________________________________
A/N
Get early access to new chapters on Patreon.
Ashes of a Lie Completed.
S

tolen Secretary Completed.

Bed of Nails up to chapter 40.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to Chapter 6

To know more search PatreonBlueDragon95 to find me.

Vote, comment, and share.