Chapter 10 : the Nightmare

"I can't move!

"He's killed the other squads?!

"He's too fast—

"We're doomed!

"I don't wanna die here!

"Masana—"

A feral, guttural rasp echoed in Kallus' dark room.

"Masana Tide.... Reva, Sevander," a harsh growl and Kallus rubbed the sleep from his eyes, the voices he heard in his own sleep faded away like a memory of a dream.

"Cal?" Kallus cautioned and leaned over in his bed at the cot on the floor.

Cal was curled up tight, one hand pulling at his hair, his teeth grinding and his whole body occasionally spasming as he groaned and hissed.

"Katooni Hack, grrr, Taron Malicos... Ren --Vicrul, Rayyvvvis,"

"Cal, it's just a nightmare," Kallus tried calling. But Cal couldn't hear. BD-1 whirred awake, the torchlight on his head dimly lit the space. "Trilla, Trilla Suduri, Dagen Gera, the Fifth Brother," Cal hissed through his teeth.

"Cal, you need to wake up, it's just a nightmare," Kallus called again and reached out for the Jedi. BD-1 trilled a warning not to touch Cal, but instead get the charm from Cal's pack. Kallus didn't quite understand and felt strange taking orders from a droid, but did so anyway. The green-and-gold charm seemed to glow in his hands as he touched it. He couldn't dwell on it much as BD beeped at him to hurry.

"Bode Akuna," Cal growled loudly and with such venom in his voice Kallus thought he'd woken up, but he began repeating the list of names again.

BD-1 instructed Kallus to place the charm in Cal's hand. He had to pry the Jedi's fingers from his own hair, a few orange strands coming loose, but he eventually managed to place the charm in Cal's hands before Cal could continue hissing names, the sound of them scraped against Kallus' skull.

A sigh of relief escaped Cal as his fingers closed gently around the charm, a small green flame sprouted from it, but it produced no heat. Just a calming, gentle song like a cool breeze in a desert. Cal's body lost its tension, his shoulders went slack and his legs unfolded under the blanket.

"Merrin," Cal sighed as his face grew soft and he settled into a relaxed slumber.

"What... what was that?" Kallus asked the droid. But BD only shook his head and carefully padded over to his Jedi, crawled under one of Cal's arms and snuggled with the man, his lights dimly blinking in a rhythm like slow breathing. Kallus turned away from the two and forced himself into his own bed. He only knew that sleep-talking could be a symptom of post-traumatic stress. He didn't know what else it meant.