Disillusioned

Rambler's Reach was abuzz with celebratory praise when the Ghost returned to Koboh. Greez had nearly bowled Cal over when he saw everyone had come home safe and sound. Later that same night, there was a party held at the saloon. Greez and Monk had prepared a great feast with Pyloon's best dishes and Cal had put in a tab for endless tap that night.

Once Cal was finished with his dinner though, he joined Ashe and DD-EC on the stage. Cal played a hallikset, Kanan had no idea he could play, and fairly well. Each strum of the metal strings felt like falling dawn light on Kanan's skin. When Cal finished his set, Merrin had gone up and kissed him. Kata and Zee giggled as Cal responded in kind, kissing her hand, then up her arm, to her neck, her cheek; each time Cal's lips met her skin the flames within her soared. Finally, his lips met hers and they shared an embrace. Kanan felt the hearts in Merrin's chest flutter as Cal's nebula surged. Despite the cheers and whoops from the Raiders and Pyloon's usual suspects, celebrating the return of their Marshall and their favourite toddler, the two of them could have been the only lovers in the Galaxy, they only had eyes and ears for each other. Vashtan Wolfe loudly teased Cal to play another song or else the two of them should get a room. Even Master Kelleran Beq gave a hearty laugh at the two as he watched over both Jaro and Grogu.

Kanan found himself picking at his dinner, the flavour and texture he quite enjoyed, but something in his stomach still stirred.

Kata placed Jaro upon Cal's shoulders and the Jedi continued to play as best he could with the little toddler's feet waving in his face and BD running between his legs like a curious bogling. At the end of the song, everyone in Pyloon's cheered and Cal and Merrin returned to their booth with Kata and Jaro to have some dessert. Moran called for another round of drinks for everyone. Monk passed over Kanan, knowing his disposition for alcohol but Kanan still couldn't shake the feeling he didn't quite belong there.

Kanan felt Dersen's bright flame approach Ashe next, and upon hearing their request, Ashe and DD-EC started up a slow song.

"Dearest, Toa, may I have this dance?" Dersen quietly asked the archaeologist.

"Oh, San, I would be honoured!" She took their hand and they moved to the dance floor, like a pair of binary stars they encircled each other in a smooth dance.

"Why don't we join them?" Moran called to Dreyo. And they too, soon lot up the dance floor.

"How's your leg?" Zeb asked.

"Better now," Kallus sighed, "why?"

A silent response, maybe a smile or even a kiss, either way, their shining stars squeezed past Kanan onto the floor to join the other couples.

"Hey, you can finish your dessert later, Ezra, come on!" Sabine urged the young Jedi and with a heavy scrape of his chair, the two youngest Spectres also made their way to the dance floor.

Greez gave a grand chuckle as his patrons abandoned their tables to dance with their partners. Kanan felt the urge to ask... but once he glanced at the floor again and saw the swirling nebula of Cal Kestis intertwined with the alluring flames of Merrin, something in Kanan broke.

He felt her eyes on him.

He wanted to sink into the floor.

"I never seen Kallus smile so brightly," Hera teased, "Sabine and Ezra look like they're enjoying themselves," she noted with a light note in her voice, to Kanan it almost felt like music. His head was spinning with her her her, "What do you want to do?" She asked.

"I didn't drink anything but I feel dizzy," he finally found some words to push out of his lips.

"Some of those Alderaanian Honey Rums have a strong scent," she explained.