Chapter 3 - The Incident

--years later--

Kennedy and Ahsoka are stretching in a training room together, getting ready to spar. The middle of the room was padded, with bare walls and a ceiling that expanded another story. A balcony circled the room above and Jedi Masters passed by, some occasionally peering over the railing to observe.

"I'm only a year younger than you. I think I'll give you a run for your money," Kennedy teased. 

"We'll see about that," Ahsoka responded.

"Come on. Remember when we used to play fight all the time? I beat you almost half the time."

Ahsoka crossed her arms, "Yeah, because you cheated."

"What? No!" Ahsoka stood there with her arms crossed and a smirk. Kennedy rolled her eyes and sighed. "Okay, maybe I cheated a couple times. But--" she held out a finger in declaration, "I know how to play fair."

Ahsoka chuckled and grabbed the wooden staffs, throwing Kennedy one. "Let's see it then."

They both took a stance. Kennedy held her staff tightly, one hand in front of the other. Ahsoka stared intently at her, most likely contemplating her first move. She swiped her staff from the left and Kennedy blocked. The sound of the wood striking echoed around the room. Kennedy swiped right, then left, taking a step forward but Ahsoka kept her eye contact. Their fight was like a choreographed dance, but neither one of them new their next step until it unfolded in front of them.

Kennedy holds her own against Ahsoka. "You're doing well. Although, your form could use some work," Ahsoka said.

Kennedy blinked and started to focus on her form, trying to improve mid-fight, but the shift of her focus gave Ahsoka an opening. She swiped at her feet and spun around, her staff inches away from Kennedy's neck. All Kennedy could do was press her lips in a line and sigh. Even now that she was older, she still struggled with sword fighting and she hated it. The frustration building in her chest threatened to fill her eyes with tears. She balled her fist in an attempt to keep it down; she couldn't show her emotion. 

"Don't worry. Practice makes perfect. You're fighting is good, your form just may get in the way someday. You need to learn how to be mindful of your posture while also keeping up the attack."

Kennedy was about to snap at her when she heard a cane tapping on the floor. "Said it better, I couldn't have," Yoda said walking into the room.

In their focus, they didn't realize the numerous Jedi Masters, who were passing by on the level above them, had stopped at the balcony surrounding the room to watch them fight. Kennedy looked around embarrassed. Everyone had just watched her make a stupid and careless mistake. Her cheeks flushed indigo and her palms began to sweat. 

"Additional practice, I can give you. With the temple guards, you can spar. Help you, I will."

Kennedy didn't have any words and she just stared at Yoda. All she could think about were the endless sets of eyes who were watching them for who knew how long. This had to be a nightmare. Ahsoka nudged her with an encouraging smile, trying to encourage her to say something--anything.

She realized what Yoda had just offered her. The wise Jedi Master Yoda wanted to help her. Was she that bad? Was she bad enough that she needed extra practice just to be as good as everyone else? She stuttered, "I- I would be very grateful, Master Yoda. Thank- thank you."

"See you tomorrow evening, I will," he half smiled at her before turning around and walking back out of the room. Kennedy looked up at the Jedi looming over them in the balconies above who were conversing among themselves. Her head spun.