Chapter 11 - Escort Gone Wrong

Obi-Wan briefed the clones on the mission to escort the Duchess. Once he was finished, they all spread out, going to their stations. Obi-Wans comm link beeped. "Yes?"

"The Duchess and her retinue requests you presence."

"Very well."

Him, Anakin, Kennedy, Rex and Cody all step into the elevator and head to the top of the ship where the Senators and the Duchess were most definitely talking about boring politics. Kennedy was so tired of politics and wanted this mission to be over with.

"I sense some anxiety from you about the Duchess. She couldn't be in safer hands," Anakin said.

Obi-Wan held his chin in his hand. "Yes, I know."

Anakin's brows furrowed, "Then why..."

"Never mind. It's all in the past."

"Oh, so you're close to her?" Kennedy chimed in.

"I knew her," he said sternly, "A long time ago."

Kennedy and Anakin shared glances, both smirking to each other. Although the politics were boring, this unspoken thing between Obi-Wan and the Duchess was the only thing keeping Kennedy interested.

As they walk into the room, the Duchess was talking atop a raised cushioned platform, "I'm going to oppose it as an affront to life itself. As the designated regent of 1,500 systems I speak for thousands of worlds that have urged me to allow them to stay neutral in this war."

"And yet some might argue that the strongest defense is a swift and decisive offense," Obi-Wan budded in, walking farther into the room.

"You are quite the general now aren't you, Master Kenobi?"

"Forgive me for interrupting, Your Highness. I meant no disrespect," he bows slightly to her.

"Really? Senators, I believe you are acquainted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi?"

"Your Highness is too kind."

"You're right. I am." Anakin and Kennedy once again make eye contact, both equally enjoying this conversation.

"Allow me to introduce my fellow Jedi Anakin Skywalker, and my Padawan Kennedy Odessa." They step forward and bow.

"Your servant, My Lady," Anakin said.

"Nice to meet you, Senators," Kennedy smiled around the room.

"I remember a time when Jedi were not generals but peacekeepers," the Duchess grabbed a drink.

"We are protectors your highness." He inclined his head toward her, "Yours, at the moment."

Kennedy stepped forward, "We fight for peace."

The Duchess chuckled, "What and amusing contradiction."

"What Master Skywalker and my Padawan mean is that we are acting at the behest of Your Highness to protect you from the Death Watch and the Separatists who don't share your neutral point of view," Obi-Wan explained, stepping closer.

"I asked for no such thing," she said sharply.

Obi-Wan was trying his best to keep his cool. "That may be so, but a majority of you court did."

She narrowed her eyes, "I do not remember you as one to hide behind excuses."

"I do not remember you as one to shrink from responsibilities."

Senator Taa stepped between them, "I am certain we all agree. Duchess Satine and General Kenobi have proven there are two sides to every dilemma."

"Indeed," Senator Merrik agreed.