Chapter 4

Travis

Larry sat next to me, holding an ice pack against his forehead with a scowl on his face.

I was holding an ice pack to my nose, my other arm holding my stomach.

The principal steps out of his office, a deep, disappointed sigh leaving his mouth as he pinches the bridge of his nose, shaking his head. "I'm disappointed in you two. Your mother," he gestures to Larry, "will be very disappointed in you." He then looks at me. "And your father, will be-"

"Very disappointed in me. I know." I finish his sentence for him, and he shakes his head again.

"Your parents are on their way. You both are suspended for the rest of the day." He walks back into his office, shutting the door silently behind him.

I'm absolutely fucked.

Neither of us said a word to each other, both of us just scowling as we wait for our parents.

Lisa, Larry's mom, gets here first. "Larry Johnson." She frowns, her voice stern. "What were you thinking?"

Larry opens his mouth, but closes it, knowing better to say anything.

Lisa was still chewing his ear off before she stopped, looking at me. "Travis." Her voice became soft, gentle; like how it used to be whenever she spoke to me, years ago.

I look up at her, surprised she said my name, surprised she actually noticed me. "Hello, Mrs. Johnson." My voice cracked, and I looked away.

She didn't have that look in her eyes, but I don't think she'd ever look at any other person other than Larry in disappointment, because she has always been very nice. She looked at me with sad, caring eyes. Like she knew. Like she understood something that no other adult ever cared to see.

"Let's go, Larry." Her voice becomes stern again as she looks at Larry. He stands up, silently walking out of the building.

I thought she'd walk away, but she put her hand on my shoulder, squeezing it softly. "Travis, honey, can I ask you something?"

I straighten as my eyes move up to look at her. "What?"

Her hand moves from my shoulder to my stringy hair, combining through it gently. "Are you... Are you safe?"

The words make my heart pound and my ears ring. A big lump forms in my throat, and I swallow, trying to force it down but it didn't budge. "I-" I choke, "I uh- I-"

"Hello, Lisa." My father's voice fills the room, his eyes narrowing. "Your son is waiting for you. You should get going." He forces a smile, his face going from the devil to an angel.

She smiles back, her hand leaving my hair. "Of course. He can wait, but I should get going." She turns to look at me again, her eyes saddening. "Have a good day, Travis."

~~~
(ABUSE WARNING)

"What the fuck did that bitch say to you?" He grabs my chin, forcing my eyes to meet his. "Fucking tell me." He barks, his hand on my chin becoming tighter.

"N-Nothing. She just asked how I was, I swear!" I choke out, my hands in tight fists as I stare into his eyes.

"N- N- Nothing?" He mocks, a smile forming on his face as he laughs, his deep laugh filling the house. "Liar."

His hand on my chin yanks me to the ground before letting go, and I go crashing down onto my ass.

"Lying is a sin, Travis." He drags out my name in his mouth, sounding like a snake. Like the devil.

I hear the rattle of the belt buckle coming undone as he pulls his belt off, wrapping the end without the buckle around his hand.

"Pray for forgiveness, Travis." He steps closer to me, towering over me. "Now."

My whole body was trembling. I wished I could just melt into the floor and never come back out. Just become one with the floor.

But I didn't. So, I closed my eyes, my hands clasping together. I start to pray for forgiveness, and I flinch as I hear him whip the belt in the air.

I slowly open my eyes when I finish praying, my hands moving to the floor, holding me up.

"God may forgive you, but I don't. Shirt." His voice was stern as he stares at me, waiting.

My hands tremble as they find the hem of my shirt, pulling it off.

"Turn around. I don't want to see your disgusting eyes."

So, I do. I turn around, sitting on my knees as my hands clench my jeans. I close my eyes tightly, sucking in a breath as I prepare for the worse. My back straightens, preparing for what's to come.

The belt comes striking down against my back, and I had to bite down on my bottom lip to hold back a scream. I hunch over as tears instantly fill in my eyes. But I force myself to straighten my back.

Over and over the belt whips against my back, the pain of the buckle making tears fall down my cheeks. I tried to keep my back straight, but it hurt too much. I was too tired.

The sound of the belt connecting with my back fills the room, a loud slap every few seconds. It reminded me of thunder, booming after the strike of lightning. It's made me hate thunderstorms. 

I could barely hear anything from the unbearable ringing in my ears.

After what feels like forever, he stops. "I'm sick of you. Go upstairs. Now." He shouts, and I quickly get off of my knees going up the stairs as quickly as I could.

I throw my shirt into my room as I step into the bathroom across the hall. My hands tremble as I shut the door as silently as possible, and I stand with my back facing the mirror. My head slowly turns, and my eyes see the long red streaks across my back.

Blood was trickling down my back, seeping into the jeans I was wearing.

I step towards the bathtub, turning the nozzle as my other hand pulls the knob that starts the shower.

My back ached, but then again, my whole body ached. My whole body felt like it was on fire, and it hurt to bend down or to turn my body or to straighten my back.

I unzip and unbutton my jeans, pulling them off as I also pull off my socks and boxers, stepping into the tub.

The hot water hits my head, then it hits my back, a small cry leaving my mouth as it repeatedly hits my back. I move my hand to my mouth, biting down on the back of my hand as the bloody water trickling down my legs and onto the bottom of the tub, streaming towards the drain.

What did I do to deserve this.