Amelia

A month passed in a blink- I had fully slipped back in my role of being the Winter Courts's future- I didn't really know the word for it, but I'd be a leader.

And I was starting to act like one- I attended meetings alongside my father, learned what there was to learn about Hybern and the upcoming war: if my parents had objections about me being so active, they didn't voice them, probably remembering what had happened because of their overprotectiveness before.

I still had nightmares about Under the Mountain all the damn time- but I didn't have trouble sleeping anymore and I was eating like a normal person, and I looked healthier- mainly, I felt healthier.

Being so involved in ruling the Winter Court had put a lot of thoughts in my mind- an alliance with the Night Court would make us extremely powerful, nearly untouchable.

But I still had doubts, hesitations- at least until Lilith's letter arrived.

I hadn't heard from her for a bit but I had just assumed she had got busy. I was still overjoyed to see her familiar handwriting on an envelope, and rushed to tear it open.

What I read, shocked me- she explained in detail what she had been going through at the Spring Court, how Tamlin practically kicked her out, how Lucien said nothing, how she returned to the human lands but didn't feel like she belonged there, and how she ended up in the Night Court. Taking Rhysand's offer.

Lilith, who trusted nobody after Under the Mountain, had chosen to trust- partly- Rhysand of all people. If she could do it, I could as well. Of course, I knew my parents wouldn't just open the gates for Rhysand- but perhaps I could get them to give him support if he needed it.

And I could convince them to...I was afraid to even think of it, but it felt right. By Rhysand's side, I could learn a lot of things, I could travel, I could gain the experience I lost while in the Spring Court- I would need all of those things to rule, because in truth, I wasn't ready yet. And the Winter Court didn't need me quite yet. But one day, it would. And I intended to be ready for it.

I wrote to Rhysand first, formally requiring permission to spend some time at his Court- I was very careful with my wording, as not to make any stupid mistakes. His response took one day- I think he was as surprised as I with my decision, but his answer was quite literally 'I believe we would all love to have the delicious winter princess with us.'

Then, came the hard part. Talking to my parents.

We had a late meeting that night, but I didn't want to leave it for tomorrow, and so as the meeting finished, I didn't exit along with the counsellors and everybody else.

"Planning to sleep here, Lia?" My mother playfully said, bumping our hips together as she passed by me. "No, actually, I was hoping for a word." I said with a serious expression on my face. My father thoughtfully looked at me. "About the meeting?" He inquired- he had been more often than not asking for my insight, but I still had little to offer, my opinion was too immature.

We both knew it but said nothing about it.

"No, dad. I'm afraid I hardly understood half of the stuff said." I sadly smiled: it was time we started. My mom frowned- I shook my head. "Mom, dad, I need to go." My mom's frown deepened and she touched my arm, as if that would prevent me from doing it. My father's blue eyes shone in clarity- he understood at once.

"Lia, darling, go where? You're home now." "I know, mom. And I've been so happy to be here: but I'm still young, and I've been imprisoned in one place for far too long- I need to spread my wings and learn how to fly." My dad sighed, and I saw the quiet resignation in his eyes. "And who knows how to fly better than the Night Court's High Lord?" Dad murmured- my mom looked at me horrified, as if she could not believe what she was hearing.