Chapter Eight

(cat featured above is Spottedstar)

"Dockpaw." A voice hissed. "Wake up. It's time for the dawn patrol." Snowstorm whispered, her white head appearing from the light exit of the apprentice den. Dockpaw groaned. She sat up, giving her chest fur a lick to smooth it down. Mosspaw was awake as well, stretching out his limbs.

Dockpaw began to walk out of the den, putting on a fake smile, so Snowstorm would not report anything to Spottedstar again. Dockpaw was still mad about that. Dockpaw stood up, shaking out her fur as her thoughts began to wander. I still don't know what ever happened to Yewfang...oh, if only Trampledleaf were still here. Maybe he could tell me a bit more about her.

"Someone is bright considering you had a nightmare." Marblepaw grumbled. "Lucky I don't have to go on patrol."

"You had a nightmare?" Snowstorm asked, concern flooding her eyes. "What about?" Dockpaw shrugged, beginning to exit her nest.

"Just about my leg. I've had them for a while, it isn't anything to worry about. Ever since it happened, a voice will snarl at me, telling me I'm worthless. I'm sure it's not real, just fake." Dockpaw mumbled, looking down, and snapping her gaze back up, making sure not to show her exhaustion.

"A voice? Are you sure it's not a cat? Any cat that's dead that would have a grudge against you for a reason?" Ferntail asked, stepping up beside Snowstorm. "Maybe a cat who your family wronged?" Dockpaw thought hard, and shook her head. Her heart skipped a beat as she made a possibility.

"Or my mother..." Dockpaw choked. Her throat tightened. No...my mother would never do something so horrible.

"Of course not! Don't be mouse-brained." Mosspaw growled, washing himself beside her.

"No, your mother was an amazing cat. She would never. I am sure it is not a cat." Snowstorm laughed, seeming almost amused. Dockpaw shrugged, sighing with relief.

"Who's coming on patrol?" Dockpaw asked, looking up at her mentor.

"You and I, Mosspaw, Sunpelt, and Ferntail." She nodded at her to get up, and led her through camp to the den entrance. Dockpaw struggled up the slope, gritting her teeth. She had never liked this hill. Ahead of her, Snowstorm chatted with Sunpelt, her tail swaying slowly.

As they got to the top of the slope, Ferntail swooped her tail, turning around. "We should mark the MoorClan border. We have not been there in some time." Sunpelt nodded, and looked to Snowstorm, who agreed. The sun was not yet out, and Dockpaw strained her eyes to see properly.

Ferntail led the cats along a path, Sunpelt and Snowstorm behind, and Dockpaw and Mosspaw riding the rear. Mosspaw sniffed at a bush, placing a paw tentatively on it. He recoiled, yelping in pain. "Thorn!" He growled through gritted teeth. Dockpaw stopped, the rest of the patrol turning around.

"Is it bad?" Sunpelt huffed. Dockpaw checked it out, glancing down at his paw. He rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, doesn't hurt." He replied, but he winced when he stepped a paw down. Blood began to trickle from the floor beneath it, and Dockpaw sighed.

"Yeah, okay." She mumbled.

"It does look sort of deep, if it's bleeding that much." Sunpelt pointed out, sniffing the young tom's paw.

"Dockpaw, you have the most experience in the medicine den, do you think you can help at all?" Snowstorm asked, seeming unsure of herself. Dockpaw beamed, feeling useful for once. She rushed to Mosspaws side, and sniffed his paw.

"Are you a medicine cat, or a warrior?" He remarked, snarkily. Dockpaw felt a growl crawling up her throat.

"Do you want help? Or would you rather walk around and get infected, then have your paw amputated? Then I won't be the only three-legged cat." Dockpaw spat back, baring her teeth. Mosspaw just looked away, his eyes darkening as a growl rumbled from his throat. Dockpaw bent down to sniff it, touching her nose slightly to it. Mosspaw yelped in pain.