Chapter Fourteen

"Catmint, of course." Dockpaw recited, closing her eyes as she concentrated on the leaves in front of her. "And it is used for coughs, specifically red cough and greencough." Tansypool nodded, smiling.

"And this?" Tansypool placed her paw over a pile of bright yellow flowers.

Dockpaw hesitated, tilting her head. She had never had to use the plant, but she certainly remembered it. "Celandine. And it is used for eye wounds, like thorns, swelling and styes." Tansypool purred.

"Correct. Lastly, these?" Tansypool placed her paw over one more pile of white petals flowers, with a yellow inner.

"Chamomile. Traveling herbs that strengthens the heart, and gives mental peace. Also smell amazing." Dockpaw commented, laughing a little. Tansypool nodded, and stared at Dockpaw. Dockpaw realized now that she was almost the same size as Tansypool, though Tansypool was a smaller cat.

"What?" Dockpaw asked, flicking her ear self consciously.

"You are almost as smart as me now. Definitely smarter than I was at your age." Tansypool replied, smiling. Dockpaw blinked.

"Hah...no. No way." Dockpaw replied, shocked, and slightly embarrassed. Tansypool flicking Dockpaws ear with her paw.

"I am serious. You aced the oral assessment." Tansypool shook her head. Dockpaw looked down at the ground, smiling as she examined the leaves carefully.

"Alright, I am going to check our stocks. Go grab yourself a bite." Tansypool instructed, turning away and heading to where they store the herbs. Dockpaw nodded, and exited the den, heading towards the fresh-kill pile. Dockpaw smiled as she noticed there was a young squirrel on the top. My favorite!

Dockpaw grabbed the squirrel, and bounded over to Ivypaw, who was sitting beside a bush. Ivypaw awkwardly nodded at Dockpaw and turned away. Dockpaw blinked, slightly surprised, and sat down, taking a bite of the squirrel.

"Dockpaw, there's something you should know." Dockpaws heart skipped a beat as she glanced at Ivypaw. "Mosspaw...he was saying some rude things about you. He said you were never strong enough to be a warrior anyways, and called you mouse-brained." Dockpaw frowned, binking. She looked down at her squirrel.

"Oh." Dockpaw replied, nodding. Her stomach churned, and she began to feel less hungry. She pushed away her squirrel, and stood up. "I had better get back to work." Dockpaw frowned, beginning to walk away. Dockpaw entered the den, her head hanging slightly.

"Back so soon?" Tansypool greeted, smiling. Dockpaw nodded, forcing a laugh, as she sat down and grabbed a pile of herbs, dragging it back to where it is supposed to be. Dockpaw nosed her way through the stocks, and stopped at a single, shriveled catmint leaf. The only catmint left was a small pile she had used for the oral assessment.

"There's not much catmint left. Just a few leaves from the test." Dockpaw started, turning around to face Tansypool.

Tansypool sighed. "Alright. I will have to collect some from the farther two-leg place. The one close to us was fresh out of catmint." She flicked her ear. "I won't be back till night. You will have to be the medicine cat for the day." Dockpaw blinked, slightly nervous.

"Oh, alright." She stuttered.

"I'll be off. See you later." Tansypool dipped her head, exiting the den. Dockpaw continued nosing through the stores, searching for what they needed most. A rustling startled her, and she snapped her head around, expecting Tansypool again. Instead, Mosspaw trailed into the den drowsily, collapsing into a nearby nest. Dockpaw stared for a moment, her heart falling. Of all cats.