Chapter Twenty-Three

Dockfoot glanced back at her apprentice, who was staggering behind slightly, his gaze fixed on every plant they passed. Dockfoot gave a purr of amusement. It had been a few moons since the poor apprentice's death, and the season was becoming warmer finally, making way for new life. Not long after, Ivytail gave birth to two healthy kits; Curledkit, named after Thistleblazes dead apprentice, and Moonkit, named after Ivytails mother.

"What if a monster comes while we are right beside the Thunderpath? Or a SpruceClan patrol?" Emberpaw gritted his teeth. Dockfoot noticed that he was now fully grown, and taller than her, though it was not rare for a cat to be taller than her.

"Don't worry." Dockfoot shook her head. "Monsters are quieter at this time of day. And SpruceClan will understand why we are on their side of the territory. There is a certain herb that grows only beside the carrion place."

"When do we cross?" Emberpaw asked, placing his front paws on the thunderpath. Dockfoot did the same, and pressed her ear to the floor. It was completely still, so she nodded at Emberpaw.

"Now." She yelled as she leaped across in a few bounds. Emberpaw was ahead of her, already tumbling into the forest of SpruceClan. "There is carrion place. Dock grows here, but we have plenty, so look for some borage." Emberpaw dipped his head, and began sniffing for stems.

"Hey! What do you two think you're doing?" A voice called. Dockfoot bristled, and spun around.

"Sorry." She blinked up at the tom. "We are simply collecting borage. Your medicine cat has not exchanged herbs with us in some time, and we are beginning to need it." The tall tom seemed skeptical, but another cat shoved past, wanting to hear.

"We should just let them take it, it's only an herb, and besides, the medicine cats do have their own pact outside of the warrior code." Dockfoot gasped as she looked at the tom who spoke up. He looks almost exactly like Pythonfang. He must be her son! "Something wrong?" He asked after she gave a very noticeable gasp.

"Er, no. You just remind me of someone I know. Thank you, Emberpaw, grab the patch you picked and we will be on our way." Dockfoot instructed.

"The only cat who looks like me is my mother, Pythonfang." The tom tilted his head to one side, his eyes full of curiosity. "And my sister, of course." Dockfoot didn't know how much to reveal.

"Maybe I've seen her at gatherings, then." Dockfoot shrugged, turning around to her apprentice. "Come, Emberpaw." Emberpaw followed his mentor, crossing the thunderpath once again safely.

Dockfoots heart still was beating extremely fast as she walked home. She almost revealed she knew Pythonfang personally!

"Are you okay?" Emberpaw asked, keeping her pace.

"Yes," She laughed. "Just tired I suppose." Emberpaw did not reply, and kept walking towards camp.

Dockfoot entered the camp to see a glarge group of cats forming in the center of camp. Emberpaw and Dockfoot exchanged a glance, and walked closer, curiosity getting the better of them. Sootcloud burst from the center of it, and leaped onto the high-rock, his powerful jumps seemed as though he was trying to get up as quickly as possible, and it scared Dockfoot.

"ForestClan! Let all cats gather for a Clan meeting!" Sootcloud yowled, his voice echoing through the clearing. Dockfoots blood ran cold as she realized what must have happened, if Sootcloud was calling a meeting. Cats whispered nervously, and the group parted from the center, revealing Spottedstar lying dead. So soon after Curledpaw! Their poor kin! Dockfoot had liked Spottedstar. He was a respected tom, who always looked out for his Clan. Goldenfeather, Spottedpaw, and Icepaw were sitting silently beside their kin, their noses buried in his pelt.