Chapter Nineteen

The Clan gathered at the center of camp for Dappledfurs vigil. His kin stayed the longest, but Dockfoot had to take breaks to check on the newly born kits. Brightsky had given birth, and Flameclaw was overjoyed to be a father. The sun was rising now, and Dappledfurs family set off to bury him.

"Dockfoot." A voice whispered. "I want you to be here while me and Brightsky name the kits. Sootcloud is here too, as well as out father." Dockfoot nodded, and padded into the den, smiling down at Brightsky and the three squirming kits.

"What are you naming them?" Sootcloud asked, his eyes full of curiosity as a gray tom kit flipped onto his back, stretching his legs and exposing his stomach.

"I like Emberkit, for the little blackish-gray tom." Brightsky suggested, placing her tail on his back. "And maybe Graykit for the she-kit?" The three awkwardly looked at each other, all thinking the same thing. Grayclaw was the cat who killed Dappledfur.

"Er...what's wrong with it?" Brightsky asked, blinking up at her mate.

"Nothing...It's just that Dappledfur was killed by Grayclaw. I'm not sure how the Clan would take it so soon after." Flameclaws eyes softened with sympathy.

Brightskys eyes widened. "Well then that won't do!" She shook her head firmly. "Then her name will be Mousekit." The cats relaxed, and Dockfoot nodded.

"What a fine name." Sootcloud agreed.

"I'd like this little light gray tom to be called Mintkit." Flameclaw offered, signaling to the final kit.

"I like that." Brightsky purred. "Mintkit, Mousekit and Emberkit."

Dockfoot and Flameclaw shared a glance, both thinking the same thing. Mintkit had been what Flameclaw always wanted to name his kit one-day, since Dockfoot was young.

"Dockfoot, I need your help. Some of the elders have been coming down with greencough, and it began to spread to some warriors. We need to move them to the spare den so it does not travel further than them. It would be awful for a queen or kit to catch it." Tansypool commented, flicking her ears. Dockfoot stood up, bristling.

"There's an outbreak?" Dockfoot blinked, shocked. "How can I help?"

"Grab the rest of the catmint we have, and bring it to Nettlefoot, Pinefrost and Sagespots." Tansypool instructed. Dockfoots heart skipped a beat as she heard her fathers name.

"Nettlefoot? How bad is it?" Dockfoot asked as she grasped a pile of catmint in her jaws.

"He's better than Pinefrost, but worse than Fallensnow." Tansypool tipped her head.

Dockfoot swiftly exited the den, heading towards the spare den that ForestClan kept. Inside was a group of cats, all laying in separate groups based on how bad their coughs were.

"Who here hasn't had any catmint today?" Dockfoot asked, spitting out the herbs.

"None of us." Sagespots replied, her voice croaking.

"Oh, StarClan." Dockfoot frowned, her pelt bushing up slightly. "If I divide it evenly between you all, there won't be enough for each of you to have an expected dose." Dockfoot divided the herbs between all the cats, and began to pass them out, the sick cats feebly licking them up. As Dockfoot exited the den, she gazed up at the rising sun. ForestClan was in for a bad case of greencough.

A few moons had passed since the kits were born, and Dockfoot enjoyed playing with them almost everyday. The sickness had gone from some cats, and spread to others. Dewycloud had gotten better from his almost deathly state, but cats like Rosepaw and Featherpelt got worse. Dockfoot stared up a tree anxiously, the three bundles of fur hanging onto the tree, shaking.