Chapter Thirteen

Dockpaw reached across her paws to the squirrel that laid on the ground, beside Marblepaw, Sootpaw and her, taking a bite. It was a couple of weeks after her first trip to the moonstone, and the question of what her dream meant still lingered. Dockpaw sighed, pushing the rest of the squirrel closer to her friends, and stood up, beginning to stretch out her hind leg, which had cramped up a few days before.

"ForestClan!" Petalsplash spat as she darted into camp, her jet-black fur spiking on end. "SpruceClan is trying to take our hunting grounds!" She growled. Sootpaw and Marblepaw stood up immediately, their eyes shining with hope of being chosen to go. "Doveheart, I'd like you to lead the first attack patrol on them. Bring Goldenfeather, Flameclaw, and Nettlefoot. I will lead the second patrol, and I'll bring Ferntail, Sagespots, Pinefrost, Sootpaw and Marblepaw." Sootpaw and Marblepaw looked at each other excitedly, and raced over to their mentors. Dockpaw winced as she thought about how much pain this battle could cause, for both sides.

"Dockpaw," Tansypool rushed over to her, herbs filling her mouth. "You are coming with us, to treat wounds. Grab these." She instructed, spitting them onto the floor. Dockpaw picked them up, her heart pounding. Tansypool began to lead her to the back of the group, following the patrols out of camp. The first patrol raced one way to the border, with the other racing the other way.

"Which way do we go?" Dockpaw asked, her tail flicking.

"This way!" Tansypool shouted over her shoulder as she began to follow the second patrol. Dockpaw darted around bushes, trying not to trip with her hind leg. As Tansypool began to slow down, screams came closer, and Dockpaw remembered her first battle. She had been fighting in it, and Snowstorm had to tell her not to be scared of hurting people. Now her focus was to help people, and Dockpaw could not be more proud. Dockpaw watched behind a bush, as cats threw blows at each other, not causing much pain, to Dockpaws relief.

Marblepaw bounced up and down beside Sootpaw, her tail lashing. "I can't wait! I'm so nervous, what if I don't fight right?"

"You will be fine, you're a natural at fighting." Sootpaw replied, shaking his head at her anxiety. Marblepaw did not stop shaking, and Dockpaw couldn't tell if it was excitement, nervousness, or both.

"If you two stop whispering, maybe it won't give us away." Ferntail muttered, a glimmer of amusement in her eyes. "On Petalsplashs command, we will leap in with them." Dockpaw turned back to her mentor, who was sorting the herbs they brought underneath a bush for later. Sootpaw dropped beside her, their fur brushing.

"Don't even think about coming close to a large warrior. Defend yourself if you have to, and remember what you learned before. Don't let them see your hind leg if they are going to fight you, or no, wait, do show your leg. They will think you're weak, when you're not." Sootpaw instructed, clearly more afraid for her than himself.

"I'll be fine. No one is going to attack the medicine cat. And even if they do, I can hold my own for a while before someone helps." Dockpaw replied, rolling her eyes at her brothers protectiveness, but she was grateful to have such a loving family.  

"Now, ForestClan!" Petalsplash yowled. Sootpaw turned back to his mentor, and leaped into action. Dockpaw watched as he disappeared into battle, her paws shaking. Dockpaw searched the crowd, and found Marblepaw, fighting off a fluffy blue-gray she-cat. The she-cat ran her claws down Marblepaws back fiercely, drawing a deep cut through her side. Marblepaw yowled in pain, gritting her teeth. Marblepaw dropped down, clearly in a lot of pain. The she-cat backed off, no remorse on her face, just acceptance, as she went to find another cat to fight.

"Marblepaws fallen!" A voice shouted. Snowstorm rushed to her side, giving one last glare at the tom she had sent running, before. Snowstorm sniffed around her, checking her scars. Tansypool follows, sniffing as well, and dragging Marblepaw under a bush. Dockpaw follows, her throat tightening with fear.