Chapter 126

BLAKE

The service for Graham and Todd was over.

Everyone shed many tears, and many stories were told about both men.

The ritual itself was more straightforward. We burn the bodies so that the body can make its way to the moon goddess. We say a few words everyone has been repeating over and over. There have been many rituals for pack members over the last few days. My father had attended each one, and every ceremony was harder than the first.

All pack members are treated like family here, and everyone knows everybody. My father knew every member, not just because he was alpha, but because he had grown up with most of them.

Everybody made their way to the pack house for some food.

I walk hand in hand with Izzy, who has been quiet throughout the service. I know she has had a lot to deal with, but something was up, and I wanted to know what.

We headed inside after we placed Allie and Archer in the nursery. The teacher wanted all the children in today, but I think she did it for all the family members to have a moment with their grief.

We walk in and grab some food from the buffet area.

I glanced around and noticed Kat sitting by the window.

Izzy turned around and headed over to her. I followed. We sat down on the chairs by Kat. She never took her eyes from the window. I noticed she was watching the children play in the nursery.

"I know I have to be strong," she says without turning around. "But can I ask you both something?"

Kat turns around and stares at both of us. "I wondered if I could stay here in the pack house with you," she asks, but she kept talking before we could say anything. "I don't want to be in the house alone with Archer. It was mine and Todd's. I will eventually return, but I need a break and some time away."

Izzy touches Kat's hand. "Kat, you can stay as long as you like," she says, pulling her in for a hug. Izzy holds her there but glances at me. I couldn't help but smile at her. I got up and left Izzy with Kat while searching for my father.

I found him in the office, staring out of the window. I went in and walked over to him. We stayed quiet for a few moments. "I miss my best friend," he said.

I stared ahead, looking through the window as I let him talk for a few moments. I don't think anyone asked him how he was feeling. Despite being an alpha, my father showed his true strength when working with his Luna, family, or at work. He talks about his day with me or cries on my mother's shoulder as he lost a pack member. Everything was hard, and I knew I had to be strong for the pack and everyone else. But I knew I wasn't alone. I had my parents and good friends, but I also had Izzy. After everything Izzy went through over the last ten years made me realize you need to deal with everything, and I knew I could with Izzy by my side.

After a few minutes with my father, my mother joined us. I told them to prepare a few rooms for Kat and Archer, as they would stay with us for a while. My mother was already onto the omegas to get the rooms ready. I left them in the office and returned to Izzy, who was still Kat, but Alice and Paul were there.

I noticed Dale and Kacey there too, with Charley and Lena. I hugged both of my best friends and went to stand behind Izzy.

"Here is the key you asked for?" says Kat out of the blue. She handed the key to Izzy, who was looking at it. "It's storage number 2365; that's where I put all your mother's stuff in."

Izzy nods.

I knew Izzy asked Kat where she put all her mother's things. I didn't know why, but she told Kat she wanted to look through some furniture for something to put in Allie's room. I would have believed her if I didn't feel she lied when she told Kat.

After a few more hours, I pulled Izzy aside as she stared into space. She has done that a lot lately. And we went into an empty room, away from everyone.

"Izzy, what's going on?" I ask her.

Axel has been quiet today. He was close by, but I knew he hated burying people.

Izzy stares at me for a few moments, but she talks.

Izzy told me a bit about her dream when she was asleep or her meeting with Clara in her words. Clara told her there was a book about her family history, about her mother's things. Izzy said she needed to know more.

I told her two days ago about the books in the house where Elder Johnson kept Anya. She made me bring them from the office to her hospital room, and she read them. I even showed her the amulets too. She had no clue what they were for.

After she told me everything, she wanted to know if anything was about the amulets in the book Clara mentioned.

After another hour, the evening drew to a close, and everyone left to go home or to their rooms in the pack house. A few members wanted to carry on, but Kat wanted to get Allie and Archer. We agreed Allie could stay with her, and when she came through the door from the nursery, all she wanted to do was stay longer with Archer. We all said our goodbyes to the other pack members.

We told everyone that there would be a family breakfast in the kitchen. Allie was excited and wanted to ensure that chocolate chip pancakes were there for Archer and her. I must admit, the child got to drive a hard bargain regarding pancakes.

I placed Allie and Archer in their rooms despite being bare. I promised to decorate them the way they liked over the next few days.

When I came back, everyone had left. Izzy and I spent some time together, cuddling up on the couch in the lounge area. But when we noticed it was getting late, we headed to bed, but we heard a scream coming from Kat's room. We ran straight into Kat's room, where Kat was sitting up in bed, panting hard. She was crying, but she glanced at us.

Izzy walked over to her, leaving my side. She climbed into her bed and wrapped her in a hug.

My heart broke watching Kat.

"I dreamt about that vampire killing him, and I can remember his face when he killed him," she muttered into Izzy's shoulder.

Izzy pulled back and placed her hands on either side of Kat's face. "I'm staying with you tonight," she said.

Izzy looked over her shoulder and stared at me. I nodded at her, but I wasn't leaving either of them.

"We both will," I say to her.

Kat moved back and looked at me.

"You both don't need to," she said. "I know, but Izzy wants to make sure you are okay, and I want to be here too," I tell her before Izzy or Kat can say anything.

I glanced around, and my eyes looked at the couch.

"I will sleep on the couch," I say as I walk over to the closet to grab a pillow and blanket.

Kat sighed. "You both don't need to..." she said, but Izzy cut her off. "I know we don't, but I want to be here for you, and Blake wants to make sure you're okay, too. Also, I need you to remember that vampire is dead. I killed him," she said.

Kat looked between the both of us and nodded.

Kat and Izzy moved into position in bed while Izzy pulled the covers over them. I walked over to the couch and set it up for my bed for the night.

When I climbed in, I noticed Izzy was on the couch's side and was staring at me. She looked at me with a small smile. "Thank you," she mouthed. I walked over and kissed her head before I sat on the couch. I get comfortable, lean back on the pillow, and stare at the ceiling.

Axel was close by. "Mate, aunt needs us," he whispered. "I can feel her pain, and Puna told me what her panther feels. It's bad," he said with sad eyes.

I sigh. "I know. We need to be there for her," I say as I slowly fall asleep.

The day's weight was on my shoulders, but I could sense the time for change coming for the pack and for the better as I fell asleep.