The Mandrake Hypothesis

The next week started off with a big chill. The air around Hogwarts had turned crisp, and landscape was dazzling with shades of red and orange. Autumn had truly taken hold. Sebastian certainly noticed the colder change in the weather. Imelda had forced the Slytherin quidditch team into early morning practices. They were playing Hufflepuff on Thursday and needed to be on their A game. Sebastian definitely noticed how the early mornings were affecting his focus. Fiona also noticed Sebastian's lack of attention in their courses. During potions on Wednesday, he accidentally added lacewing flies to what was meant to be a wiggenweld potion. Professor Sharp was less than impressed.

One side effect of Sebastian's exhaustion was that he was less attentive of Fiona. She intended to take full advantage that fact. She knew she needed Sebastian out of the way for what she had planned. Fiona had spent the first half of the week in the library reading all about curses. She hoped she could find anything related to being seen yet not heard. She hoped Rookwood had used a common curse, but as the hours ticked by, she came to the realization that the curse was probably an original. How was she meant to figure out a cure without knowing exactly what Anne was cursed with? On Wednesday evening, she was nose deep in a book on the first floor of the library when she as approached by a familiar Slytherin.

"Fiona Moriarty, is that you?" Fiona looked up from her book to see a glowing red wand.

"Hello Ominis. It's me. I don't know how you do that." Fiona smiled. Ominis was a sweet, gentle soul. Ominis took a seat down across from her.

"You have this aura that my wand can pick up on. I've felt it ever since you arrived at Hogwarts. Perhaps it has something to do with your abilities." Ominis whispered the last word. He wasn't sure who might be listening in on their conversation. "Have you been in the library all week? I have only seen you in class."

"I have been. I don't have much to show for it." Fiona sighed. She was disappointed in the lack of success in her research. She felt like she was letting Ominis and Sebastian down. "I was trying to find out what curse Rookwood used on Anne. I thought it might be documented somewhere. Although I fear it was a Rookwood original." Ominis grimaced at the mention of Rookwood and Anne's curse.

"Fiona, darling, no one expects you to find a cure for Anne by yourself. Neither Sebastian nor I could expect that from you. I must ask that you not work yourself to the grave." Ominis reached across the table looking for Fiona's hand. She grasped his hand and squeezed.

"Thanks Ominis. I know Anne's condition is difficult for you to witness. I know how much you care for her." Fiona spoke a bit suggestively. Ominis withdrew his hand from hers and blushed.

"How did you know?"

"Well Ominis," Fiona began, "the only times I've seen you initiate physical intimacy is either with Anne or in reaction to news regarding Anne. I suspect those actions are reserved for only the most beloved in your life." She observed Ominis relax. It looked as though he was glad his secret was out.

"Rather observant aren't you Fiona? Rather Ravenclaw indeed." Ominis smiled. "I've known you only 6 weeks, and yet you pick up on more than Sebastian, who I have known for years!"

"Does Anne know of your feelings?" Fiona asked.

"You must promise to keep this from Sebastian," Ominis whispered. Fiona nodded. "It was Christmas last year." Ominis grinned as he began to reminisce. "Sebastian had gone out to gather more fire wood. I can't recall where Solomon was. I was sitting on the floor of the cottage in Feldcroft, near the hearth. I felt Anne sit down next to me. She began asking me about who I may or may not hold affection for," Ominis chuckled. "As if anyone at Hogwarts could compare to my Anne. She eventually asked me if I had ever kissed a girl before, which of course I hadn't. Who would want to kiss a blind boy like me?" Ominis paused for a moment and then continued. "Anne isn't like others. She is kind hearted and pure. After I told her I had yet to kiss another, she shared the same. She started leaning closer to me; her scent of roses getting stronger and stronger until her lips were on mine. In that moment, nothing else mattered. It didn't matter that I am a Gaunt. It didn't matter that Anne's parents were dead. We had each other."