Chapter 43

🎶: 'Secret' by Taeyeon

Everything hurts.

There was so much pain behind his eyelids, and he would so much rather just keep them closed, to just rest.

But that force deep inside of him, the one that has kept him going the last seven years, was awake, recalling the terrible events of earlier, before everything turned black, begging him to wake up.

I have to wake up... Juju needs me...

Taehyun fluttered his eyelashes, attempting to open his eyes, and finally, his lids were slowly lifted up.

His vision wandered around the room he was in. It was small, had green painted walls, and the smell of cleansing alcohol and hospital gowns lingered in the air.

"Oh good, you're awake," a female voice said.

The door opened, revealing a lanky male, exuding relief upon seeing his best friend, alive, though injured.

"Taehyun..."

"Hyung..."

Beomgyu approached his bed and sat down on the edge, taking Taehyun's hand into his.

"Do you need anything?"

"No... I'm just really drowsy."

"You had a concussion, that makes sense. You... really sustained a couple injuries."

Taehyun snorted weakly.

"I bet."

As if the cast wrapped around his leg wasn't enough of an indication.

"Anything else?" Taehyun asked.

"Well... the nurse informed us that you suffered a blow to the spine, thankfully not enough to break it. A few of your ribs are cracked, and they took care of the stomach wound."

"Oh... so that explains the tightness around here," Taehyun patted his abdomen.

"Yeah... god Taehyun, I got so scared when Ryujin told us. You, no, all of us, are lucky that it's nothing majorly serious. Other victims suffered worse, but you made it, a-and—"

"Save your energy Hyung, I can see you're tired."

The younger brunette smiled weakly at him.

"I'm glad too."

Beomgyu smiled at him as well, and patted his leg carefully.

"There are a few people who want to see you. Can I let them in?"

"Of course."

The taller stood up and walked towards the door, pausing as his hand hovered over the doorknob.

"Just so you know..."

"What?"

Beomgyu glanced at the figure standing behind the windowed door, quietly talking to someone.

"... never mind. He'll tell you himself."

Something you should've known long ago.

Taehyun watched as his best friend left, and another person entered the room instead.

His eyes immediately softened.

"Juju..."

The little child had mustered up all his courage to be a big boy for his father, but the moment he laid eyes on him, seeing all the bandages and casts his body was wrapped in, and bruises visible on his cheekbones, his lips trembled, and his eyes filled with tears again.