14. The disguise

Jai

Jai

I used to believe in the kind of love where your heart skips a beat, where you can't help but miss someone when they're not around, and their every hug feels like the warmest embrace on Earth.

The kind of love my parents had, the forever kind.

But then, college happened, and it brought me back to reality.

People seemed to love the idea of money more than anything else.

I had a few girlfriends in college, but I broke up with them because they were either after my dad's money or they just found me handsome.

I was popular, sure, but I kept a small circle of friends, mainly consisting of three of us: Me, Rahul, and Naman. We were like three different flavors of ice cream—I was the reserved one compared to the other two.

After college, we managed to stay in touch. Rahul and Naman were my closest friends, the only ones apart from work if I exclude Anika.

Ah, Anika, she was different.

I genuinely enjoyed spending time with her, making her smile. She was a firecracker, not just in terms of looks but also in personality. Her contagious laughter and those incredibly lame jokes of hers could brighten up anyone's day. I'm glad she'll be mine very soon.

Being around her, I started feeling things deep in my chest that I'd never felt before.

The day we watched a match at her place, it was exactly how I had envisioned my love life back in college, and it terrified me.

I never felt that around any other person and around her I was a teenager discovering new feelings in my chest and butterflies in my stomach.

We were in an arranged marriage, and I had doubts if she had any feelings for me.

I'd been in relationships before where I'd been treated poorly, and I didn't want history to repeat itself. I trusted her, but I couldn't ignore the fear. So I decided to let things progress naturally and see where they'd lead.

Two days ago, we told our parents about our decision, and they agreed to meet today.

Anika did something that I couldn't quite figure out—she created a WhatsApp group for the four of us and gave me a wink when they said we weren't allowed to attend the parents' meeting.

This girl was something else. I often found myself smiling at the thought of her, and only her.

In the past few days, I'd been busy shortlisting homes for us to live in after marriage. They were all apartments since Anika preferred them over villas. I hadn't told her yet, but I figured I'd bring it up soon. Let's see how that goes.

At noon, our parents left for their meeting, and by 12:05 pm, Anika and Varsha were already at my place.

I didn't even have to tell them my parents were leaving; Anika somehow knew. She was like a friendly neighborhood stalker, and it was both amusing and scary.