21. I'm a goner

Jai

Jai

After dropping Anika home, I went straight back to my place. With the engagement just a day away, excitement and nerves were mingling in me.

But today, when Anika confessed she liked me back, all those nerves evaporated. I'm glad she chose me out of everyone.

Tomorrow's engagement was set to be at our farmhouse—a cozy gathering with close friends and family. The wedding would be the grand celebration.

We opted for a low-key engagement away from the media frenzy. Being the CEO of Singhania Global Ventures, I'm quite known, but no one knows Anika and I are tying the knot. They assume we're dating since we've been seen together a lot in the past month.

Pulling up to my home, I realized this was my last week here. Next week, I'd be moving to the apartment with my wife. Calling her that when she wasn't around felt amazing.

As I parked and stepped inside, the house was a hive of activity. We were sprucing up not only for the engagement but also for the influx of guests.

In the living room, I found mom on the sofa rubbing her temple. "What's wrong, mom?" I asked.

"Just a headache," she replied.

"Should I get you a tablet?" I offered.

"Noo, it's fine," she said as Dad entered with a tray holding an oil bottle, a bowl, and a comb. "Your massage boy is here, rani sahiba," he joked, and she burst into laughter, eyes not leaving each others.

I smiled looking at them. Will I ever find someone who looks at me like mom looks at dad?

I marveled at how, after all these years, mom and dad's bond remained the same. They sacrificed a lot to maintain that connection. Now that I took over the position, Dad had even more time to spend with Mom.

I left the room to give them privacy, and on my way to my room, I overheard Aarav on the phone sighing and asking someone not to do something.

I snatched the phone from him, saying, "Hey, beautiful."

"Helloo."

"What's up?" I inquired.

"Just trying to set up Aarav with someone. He needs to dance at our sangeet, and if it's a girlfriend, even better," Anika explained, and I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Aarav won't budge. This time he can't dance with you, so he'll have to find a partner somehow," I added, earning a glare from Aarav.

He wasn't into relationships. Despite being good-looking and built, he never had a girlfriend. He doesn't commit to anyone.

"Bring your girlfriend, lil bro. Show her to the world," I teased, and Anika laughed.

"Only if she could come out of my books," Aarav replied. Like Anika, he was a bookworm, and I knew he always had girls falling for him.