32. The Hospital

Anika

Anika

My head was pounding, and my body felt like it was trapped in a cage. I struggled to open my heavy eyelids, managing to crack them open. Everything was blurry, and I could hear someone calling my name.

"Ani!" I thought it was my mom's voice. Why was she here? I blinked a few times to clear my vision.

"Maa," I responded weakly. I realized I was in a hospital bed.

"How are you feeling?" Dad asked, standing beside Mom.

"My head hurts, and it's like my body's locked up," I complained.

"You were unconscious when Jai found you, Ani," she explained.

"What time is it?" I inquired.

"It's past 4 pm, beta," she replied. Jai was never home at this hour, but I pushed that thought aside.

The doctor arrived. "Hello, Anika."

"Hi," I replied.

"How are you feeling?"

"A little weak, but I'm fine."

"Your body was weakened from not eating and drinking. Your blood pressure dropped, causing you to faint. You should avoid stress, and that's it. Eat all the meals and drink water, and you'll be perfectly fine," he advised, and I averted my gaze.

I had lost my appetite, stopped talking to people, and even quit reading books. They all served as painful reminders of my current life situation. The only thing that lingered was my anger towards Jai. It was more of a heartbreak than anything else.

The doctor provided some instructions, but they barely registered in my mind. The loneliness crept back in.

"I'll rest for a bit," I told my parents and they looked at me with concern.

I never reached out to them when things went south. I didn't want to burden them. They would have seen right through me with a single glance. I wanted to keep my marital problems between Jai and me.

"Is everything okay, Anika?" they asked.

"Yeah, don't worry, maa," I assured her.

"Is everything all right between you and Jai?" she probed.

"I can talk to Jai if—" Dad began, but I interrupted.

"Don't, please. Everything's fine." I assured him. He simply nodded.

"We'll send Jai in," they announced, and I nodded.

A few minutes later, Jai entered with a bouquet of flowers. He always used to bring me gifts when we were dating, emphasis on the "before marriage."

"Hey," he said, handing me the flowers. With my weak hands, I accepted them.

"Thanks," I replied, my face devoid of emotion. I had forgotten how his presence used to affect me.