Detention with Hagrid

After the holidays had ended, Arabella met with Harry, Ron and Hermione in the library.

"Hey, did you get my letter?" Arabella asked.

Harry smiled, and revealed a book titled Alchemy, Ancient Art and Science.

Arabella smiled too.

"Let's open it up then" Hermione said cheerfully.

Arabella put it on the table and Hermione opened it up.

"Of course! Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's stone!" Hermione said excitedly.

"The what?!" Harry, Arabella and Ron exclaimed.

"Honestly, don't you three read? Look, right there" Hermione said, urging them to read the passage as she turned the book around.

The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The Stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.

There have been many reports of the Philosopher's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera-lover. Mr Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight).

"Is this what Fluffy is guarding then? The Philosopher's Stone?" Arabella asked.

"It must be, I mean, they are friends and Dumbledore knew someone was after it and so he's keeping it safe for him!" Hermione figured.

A few hours later, they went to Hagrid's hut. They knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Hagrid called from inside.

"It's us" Arabella replied, and the door opened, revealing Hagrid behind. Hagrid then let them in and closed the door behind them.

When they sat down, Hagrid asked "What do yeh want?"

"We know about the Stone" Harry announced.

Hagrid looked at them, surprised.

"We were wondering if you know what's guarding it apart from Fluffy?" Hermione asked.

"O' course I can't, one, I don' know meself and two, yeh know too much already, that Stone's here for good reason, 'twas almost stolen outta Gringotts. I s'ppose the four of yeh have figured that out? Still have no clue how yeh know about Fluffy" Hagrid told them.

"But we were only wondering who had done the guarding, anyway, you do know everything about that goes on round here, you just may not want to tell us" Arabella said calmly.

Hagrid inhaled. "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt if yeh knew. He borrowed Fluffy from me, and then some o' the teachers did some enchantments, like Professor Sprout an' Professor McGonagall, oh, an' Professor Snape" Hagrid explained.

"Snape?" Arabella asked.

"Yeah, yer still going on abou' that? Look, Snape helped protect the stone, he won't steal it"

"And you're the only one who knows how to get past Fluffy?" Harry asked.

"Not a soul knows apart from me an' Dumbledore" Hagrid proudly said.