Marie

The backstory (Extra long chapter)

-Roughly 8-10 years ago-

You recall how early childhood felt. Each memory- identical in vibe, was special.

When you think back on your early childhood, everything felt familiar. The lighting- always a golden sun streaming through the window. The background noise- local birds harmonising.

Another dear memory and relic of your past was the soft teddy bear with the belly that smelt like strawberries. Over time, the softness and the scent of the bear had sort of faded. Years later, when you held the now worn-out teddy bear in your hands, you couldn't help but feel the bear had significantly shrunk. But perhaps it was just that fact that you had grown much bigger?

You had a vague memory of naming the bear. Was it... Mr Sparkles? Mr Cream Puff? You didn't quite remember, but for some reason, you always saw each of your stuffed toys as a 'Mr'. There was something rather masculine about teddy bears, even the pink ones.

Whenever you took a moment to look at the strawberry bear, you felt a pang of sadness. Life didn't look or feel the way it did when you were little anymore. Mr Sparkly Cream Puff was one of the things in your life that was just always there. Yet, unlike other things in your life, that bear had happy memories attached to it.

Then there was Marie. Like the bear, you couldn't recall the day Marie first entered your life.

But that was because she was your twin sister.

You and Marie didn't have the average sibling relationship, however. Sure, you often found yourself throwing a tantrum due to something Marie did, but it was much deeper than sibling rivalry.

You could never find it in yourself to blame Marie for your family falling apart... even though it was her fault.

Marie was gifted. But it was a curse and burden on everyone else. She was different. Her mind was wired in a way that nobody could decode her, and nobody could change her.

But it took a while for everyone to see it.

At first, everyone thought she had a way with words. They all thought she was a bright girl with a natural talent for acting. Marie was the type of girl who could get whatever she wanted from anyone, even from a young age. Everyone just assumed that it was a kid thing, manipulating people.

Marie was always losing friends at school. Your parents were told by her teacher that she hadn't been very nice to other kids in her class. Taking their belongings, hitting them, and having an overall potty mouth for an eight-year-old.

"Marie, you can't just go through life treating others this way,"

You remembered peeking downstairs one night after Marie had been sent home from school, and your parents were having a chat with her about her behaviour.

"Why?" She looked your father dead in the eye, acting confused.

"Take other people's feelings into account, for once. You don't have to be friends with everyone, but please have common sense and be kind. As you get older, it will be harder to get away with things like this," your parents looked exhausted. Getting emails and calls from school every other day, Marie did this, Marie did that.

"But they're all dumb. They deserve it," Marie said with utmost confidence. From where you were sitting, you couldn't see your parents' facial expressions, only Marie's. But you could imagine how horrified they were.

"Marie, what do you mean by that?" your mother squeaked. You could see your father bowing his head in disappointment.

"I'm better than all of them."