The Mean Streets Of Miami

TW: Sexual themes are present and may be disturbing for some readers.

"WHAT?!" You burped despite having not eaten in days. Even Leon was taken aback.

"How do you know this, Ada?" he asked sternly.

Ada's lip curled up slightly, rather interested in your reactions.

"That's classified."

That made Leon's eye twitch.

"Do you know how many times I've been told that??"

"Nope."

"Well, too fucking many!!" he tried to stand up, looking like he wanted to hit someone.

"Hey." Ada stopped him. "Have you noticed how you're unusually aggressive, suddenly?"

Leon froze for a moment before sitting back down.

"Not until you mentioned it, no..."

"That's the virus. It's consuming you, but try not to panic as it feeds on stress. I have some colleagues in Miami already who are tracking down the cure."

"That's great news, lady." You blurted. "But are we just gonna forget the fact that my dad is still around? And he's, like, evil-er than we all thought? And I was injected with the virus too, but I'm not acting weird! AND WE LEFT LUIS BEHIND!!"

"That's precisely why the mission from the very beginning was to ensure your safety and keep you away from Marie." Leon turned his head to you. 

"Pardon the fuck??"

"Language, Angel." he sighed before exchanging glances with Ada.

"So nobody told her?" Ada's face softened. It was rather irritating, the way she never directly addressed you. You already felt a feeling of strong dislike for her from the moment you first heard her name. Except now, you had some reasons.

"What. Tell. Me. What??" you glared at her, which for a moment you could've sworn you caught a glint of fear in her eyes.

"The reason all major criminal organisations are after you-" Ada began.

"ALL MAJOR CRIMINAL ORGANISATIONS?!"

"We've done a good enough job protecting her so far that they didn't ever find her." Leon explained to Ada, who was visibly bewildered by how much you didn't know.

"It's because your DNA is uniquely strong and mutated."

You just stared at Leon. No words, but millions of thoughts speeding through your mind faster than the speed of light. The only thing breaking the silence was the helicopter blades. But things were slowly coming together. 

"I've never been sick..."  you murmured to yourself. Countless times your classmates had taken days off of school when they had caught a bug, Marie included. This was an experience that you strangely never had. You remembered when you were seven, Marie was throwing up everything that entered her body- something nasty she caught from the sandpit. It was her second day off school from this cold, and you felt rather envious of her break from school. 

"Mama... ach, I feel bad..." You fake croaked from your bed that morning when your mother came in to check on Marie. "I think I caught Marie's sickness." you added some sniffles to sell the act. But no matter what you did, your mother saw right through you. 

No matter how many times you had put on a show in an attempt to stay home and play Wii Sports all day, not once in your entire life had you ever known the feeling of infection. Despite how odd it was, your immunity was not something that you had ever paid too much attention to, until now.