Chapter 140: Your True Self

Opening 15

.

Two weeks later...

With the rebuilding reaching its end, Fontaine marches on towards its new era without the Hydro Archon. In that time, Furina is barely getting by eating nothing but macaroni's despite personal visits from Clorinde, who was horrified at her living conditions.

Her once eventful life as the Hydro Archon has now become a rather boring life, mainly staying at her accomodation with occasional walks around the Court of Fontaine every now and then.

However, for today's walk, she would spot Lucius sitting by the bench, all alone.

Furina: Lucius?

Lucius: Huh? Oh... hey, Furina.

Furina: Why are you all here alone? Where's your little floating friend?

Lucius: Oh... I just wanted some alone time and not gonna lie, I've been getting annoyed with Paimon recently.

Furina: Oh, I see.

Lucius: What about you? What are you doing?

Furina: Just going on a nice casual walk. It's one of my only forms of entertaining since I left the Palais Mermonia.

Lucius: Right, right.

Furina would notice Lucius seemingly avoiding Furina's gaze.

Furina: ("What's up with him?")

There was a few seconds of silence before Lucius takes out a paper bag containing food and places it on the bench as he stands.

Lucius: I'm... gonna get going now. I'll see you later, Furina. 

Furina: Wait!

Furina calls out as she grabs his hand.

Lucius: ...

Furina: So you're the one who's been giving me all those bags of food over the last few days!

Lucius: Yeah... guilty, haha.

Furina: But... why?

Lucius: I heard from Clorinde about your living situation and what food you've been eating since you moved out. I... I didn't want to see you live like that so I decided to give you bags of food to keep you supplied.

Furina: But why keep it a secret from me?

Lucius: Because I thought you wouldn't want to see my face after what happened with the trial.

Furina: O-Oh...

Furina closes her eyes as her mind briefly flashes back the memories of that fateful trial. But despite that, whenever she thinks of Lucius during the trial, she could only picture his face showing signs of regret and remorse.

Lucius: I'll stay out of your hair, Furina.

Lucius dismisses himself as he quickly walks off.

Furina: L-Lucius...

She calls out weakly as she watches his figure become smaller and smaller.

Furina: ("Back then... inside that little house in Poisson. I... I could tell that he was being genuine about being someone that I could confide in. He even seemed remorseful during the trial itself. I know a thing or two about acting, and Lucius was definitely not acting in his expressions that day. ")