1. Important decision

(Vanessa)

April 13, 1998:

Struggling under the weight of two hefty shopping bags, I manage to haul them into my kitchen and heave them onto the counter. As I open my refrigerator, a sound catches my attention. It's the sound of giggling from a woman, coming from the floor above. With a rising sense of suspicion, I tread cautiously up the stairs. The door to my bedroom is slightly open. I open it carefully and look shocked at what is happening in my bed. My friend Ryan is lying under a naked woman who is riding him hard.

Fury consumes me as I yell, "You bastard!"

The sight before me shatters my heart into countless pieces. There sits Melissa, my sister, perched atop him, her gaze fixed on me with a vile smirk. Ryan shoves her aside, and they clutch the blankets to themselves.

"Sis, how could you?" I choke out, tears streaming down my face. I whirl around and bolt down the stairs.

"Vanessa, wait," Ryan calls out, trailing behind me. Right before the front door, he grasps my wrist, prompting me to turn around instinctively. And there he is, the betrayer, clad only in his black boxers.

"Vanessa, I..."

'How long, Ryan? How long have you been deceiving me?' I implore.

"Vanessa, I'm truly sorry."

'How long, Ryan?' I demand, my voice escalating.

"Since last May, I believe," he replies, his voice barely audible.

'Well, it's irrelevant now. Enjoy your time with my sister. I wish you both happiness, since it seems it wasn't possible with me.'

"Vanessa, listen to me, please."

I gaze at Ryan, a mix of disbelief and sorrow in my eyes, and declare, "Of all the women in the world, you had to choose my sister? I'm sorry, Ryan, but this is where it ends. We're done." With those final words, I spin on my heel, dash to my bike, and speed off, the thought of seeking solace at my best friend Stephanie's flat driving me forward.

Three weeks had passed:

Stephanie and I were scouring the internet for new employment opportunities. During our search, a listing for a live-in housekeeper position immediately grabbed my attention. I wasted no time in calling the provided number and, after a brief chat, we arranged a meeting at the office for a detailed briefing. They requested my references, and then it was simply a waiting game to find out if I would be offered the position. Fortunately, the wait was short-lived. Today, I find myself seated across from Jane at the temporary agency's office, attentively listening to her rundown of the job. 

"Alright, Vanessa. You're now roughly familiar with what the role involves. Are you certain you're up for it?"

I meet Jane's gaze with resolve, my desire for the job clear. "Absolutely, I am."

"Any questions?" she inquires.

"Just one, would my accommodation be far from the main house?"

"Not at all, this is a live-in arrangement. You'll be housed in the caretaker's quarters on the estate." "Well, that settles my current queries."

"Great, I'll fetch the paperwork for you to sign. Meanwhile, I'll contact the former housekeeper to provide you with more details and arrange a walkthrough."

I give a nod and gaze out the window at the bustling traffic, lost in thought about the life I'm leaving behind. A wave of nausea hits me as I recall the day I discovered Ryan with my sister. Without Stephanie's intervention, homelessness would have been my fate. You may wonder why I was jobless. The reason is simple: I resigned from my previous job to avoid my sister and ex-boyfriend, and subsequent job rejections had me fearing I'd never find another opportunity.

Just then, Jane reappears, clutching a thick folder of documents. She takes a seat opposite me and flips it open. "Here you go, Vanessa. These are the documents for a six-month work trial," she explains, placing a stack on the desk. "This pile is the lease for the concierge flat, and these are the insurance papers." 

I open my mouth to inquire further, but she cuts me off. 

"Don't worry, the lease doesn't require any payment. Please excuse me; I need to review someone else's contract. Feel free to read through and sign at your convenience; I've marked where you need to sign."

I carefully open the document, reading every detail and signing where needed, then wait for Jane. She returns to the desk after a while, examining the documents before placing several copies into a plastic folder. Next, she retrieves a bulky folder, her expression betraying her distaste for this part of the job. 

"Ahem, this is the rulebook. Please read it thoroughly. It outlines your responsibilities and how your tasks are spread throughout the week. You have weekends off unless he is home; on those weekends, you must provide meals and handle the cooking."

I gulp, knowing my cooking skills are basic; I'm far from a culinary queen.

"Here are the keys to the caretaker's quarters, and the former housekeeper will meet you there tomorrow at ten," Jane says, placing the plastic folder into the larger one, symbolizing the rules, and offers her hand. "Best of luck with your new position, Vanessa." 

I shake her hand and make a swift exit.