10. My sister's wedding day.

(Vanessa)

Today marks the day my sister and Ryan get married. It's not jealousy that I feel; it's disappointment. They both betrayed me, and now they're celebrating their union. They possess all that I desire: a home, a wedding, and soon, children.

The gathering was at Ryan and Melissa's place, a showcase of everything they've achieved, a stark reminder of what I, as the elder sister, have not. And naturally, my mother echoed every word of my sister's, deepening the resentment I hold towards my family at this moment.

Regrettably, Dave was unable to arrive in time for the ceremony, a fact my family mentioned several times. I must confess, my jealousy has surfaced; I'm tired of my sister and Ryan's cloying behaviour. Why do they get all the luck while I suffer the consequences of their actions? Where is Dave? Will he show up, or will his cat make an appearance instead? Should I indulge my family by confirming his absence? Dave, please show up; I need you!

The town hall and church bore me to tears. I'm either overlooked or met with pitying glances. It feels like they've cast me aside, and now they're all affectionate and cosy. I'm well aware of it by now.

We're at the venue for the wedding photos now, a vast estate with woods, a large pond, and a castle. The group follows the bride and groom, and my mother walks beside me, likely seizing the opportunity to diminish me further.

"And where's your prince charming? Seems like he's stood you up," she says, smirking.

"He's on his way. Just got caught up with some last-minute work at the office," I reply, my attention elsewhere.

"Sure, work. That's a full-day affair, isn't it? Face it, sweetheart, we all know there's no one in the picture."

Fury simmers within me, and my sister twists the knife: "Vanessa, we're snapping a photo with all the couples next. After my in-laws, you're up. Guess you'll be sandwiched between us since your plus-one is nowhere to be found."

"That's it!" I explode, fists balled, heels digging into the gravel. "Enough is enough. You think I don't see the way my sister and Ryan sneak around? Or how you all either pity me or ignore the elephant in the room? I've been the butt of jokes all day. And for the record, I'm not oblivious—I hear every whisper. Yes, mother, I'm not the perfect one. Yes, I'm back to housekeeping, and it pays well. And yes, I'm here solo because..."

"Hey, feather. Made it at last," the voice I've been yearning for calls from behind. 

Relief washes over me as I turn to see Dave, dashing in a sleek black suit, his tie and pocket square matching my navy dress. His hair is slicked back, his beard neatly groomed. My smile is irrepressible as I breathe out, "You came?"

"Wouldn't dream of leaving my girl hanging." His hand finds my waist, pulling me close. A kiss on my forehead, then a tender one on the lips.

"Ahem," my mother interjects.

"Apologies. Dave, this is my mother, Claudine."

"Pleasure to meet you, ma'am. I'm..."

"Dave Lavens. Yes, I recognize you," my mother exclaims, cutting him off in surprise. Dave warmly shakes her hand, offering his congratulations on her daughter's wedding. He then takes my hand, and together we approach the newly-weds, who are sharing a laugh, oblivious to our presence. At that moment, Dave's phone buzzes. It's on silent, but I can feel the vibration. He glances at the caller ID and gestures to me that he needs to step away. Walking over to a nearby tree, he disappears from view. 

My sister spins around, "Ready for the photo? Come join us in the middle!" She guides me towards her with a hand on my shoulder.

"I'd rather wait for my date to get here."