24. An unwanted dinner.

(Dave)

During breakfast, the silence is palpable. Vanessa is absorbed in her novel while I peruse the newspaper. Between sips of coffee, I can't help but gaze at the beautiful woman seated before me. Vanessa notices and quirks an eyebrow.

"Why are you gazing at me like that?"

"Isn't it natural for a man to admire the beautiful woman before him?"

"Sure, but not with such an odd expression."

"Odd expression?" I let out a snort.

As my phone buzzes, I glance at the screen and can't help but roll my eyes. 

Vanessa inquires, "Who's calling?"

"My mother," I reply before answering.

"Hello, mother."

"Hi, son. Can you spare a moment to talk?"

"Always have time for you, Mother," I respond, my voice tinged with sarcasm.

"Will you come over for dinner tomorrow night? Now that I've left your father and settled in, I'd like to keep up our monthly dinners."

"Sure, we'll join you for dinner tomorrow night."

"We?"

"Yes, 'we' as in Vanessa and me. Who else?"

"Oh, right. Good. I expect you at 7 p.m."

The line goes dead, and I stare at the black screen.

"We're having dinner at your mom's place tomorrow night?"

I give Vanessa a worried glance. "Yes, we're expected at 7 p.m."

"Okay, I'll let Barbara know not to make dinner for us tomorrow," Vanessa replies, a trace of unease in her voice.

"Okay, that's fine by me." I glance at my wristwatch, rise from my chair, and approach Vanessa. I lift her chin gently with one finger, ensuring our eyes meet.

"Vanessa, don't be afraid of my mother. She'll come around once she gets to know you," I reassure her.

Vanessa sighs. "But does she even want to know me?" she asks, a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"She can be stern, but just give her time," I say as I kiss Vanessa, offering her a comforting smile. "Everything will work out. Just be yourself, and she'll see the wonderful woman you are." 

Vanessa's smile returns. 

"Okay, I really must go now. I have an early meeting scheduled with my father," I explain. Vanessa gazes at me, her expression filled with surprise.

"How is it that I'm unaware of anything? I am, after all, your personal assistant and I organize your meetings."

"My father sent a text very early this morning. I'm not sure of the details, but he mentioned it was time-critical. Shall we meet in an hour at the office?"

"Alright, see you in an hour." We exchange a kiss, and I head off to work.

During my "meeting" with my father and his attorney, I become frustrated.

"Father, was it necessary for me to arrive early for this? Couldn't this have been handled elsewhere?"

"Son, your mother is demanding too much. She wants my house, my holiday home, 40 percent of my shares, and her demands don't stop there."

"Hmm, I see. Have you made a counteroffer?"

"I did, but she just laughed. I hate to say this, Robert, but she has a top-notch lawyer and is acquainted with the judge."