𝟎𝟏𝟓. the fragile truth

015. THE FRAGILE TRUTH

 THE FRAGILE TRUTH

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

   Mischa's body shook from the news Alina told her that morning.

   Mal was the Firebird.

   It seemed matters were only getting worse, Mal being the Firebird and Mischa finding out the Darkling is her father. Mischa wished she knew what the Saints had in store for her, everything was turning for the worse and she could only hope that destroying Aleksander once and for all wouldn't end up in Ravka's demise.

   One thing Mischa knew for sure was she would sacrifice her own life for Nikolai's. He would be the King Ravka deserves and she would see it through till the end.

   Mischa was so lost in her thoughts that Nikolai's voice explaining the mission was but a buzz in the background. He had called her to help with planning their next move on Kirigan sense the Leader of the Second Army was no where to be found and neither was Mal. Mischa was the only one with insight of motives.

   "Mischa? Mischa?" Nikolai called to the entranced brunette, who snapped her head towards the concerned boy once he had brought her back to reality. "Have you heard a word I said about —"

   Mischa nodded, straightening her posture as she held her hands behind her back in a solider-type of way. "Sending our strongest units to defend the orphanage."

   "The First Army's been trying to find it for months." Nikolai looked at the map laid on the table amongst other scrolls and objects. "We have the advantage of an aerial approach to catch them off guard."

   Mischa pondered in thought for a moment before shaking her head in disagreement. "We know what the nichevo'ya are capable of and there's no sign of the crows or the Shadow Blade. Me and Alina will go alone."

   Nikolai looked at her in disbelief. "Which is exactly what he'd want. Why else would he choose Keramzin? He knows Alina's weaknesses and yours —"

    "And I know his." Mischa cut him off with a look of stern. "Eventually he'll trust me enough to let me close and whilst Alina deals with the Fold, then I can kill him. No one else needs to be sacrificed for this to end."

   Mischa moved to go past him but he placed his body in front of her to prevent her from leaving, unknowingly making their bodies chest-to-chest.

   "Going alone, the two of you?" Nikolai looked into her eyes. "You know that's not the right call. So where's this coming from?"