𝟎𝟏𝟔. this isn't goodbye

016. THIS ISN'T GOODBYE

 THIS ISN'T GOODBYE

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

"Nikolai, wait —" Mischa called out to the boy marching towards his ship outside, where everyone now gathered to wish Nikolai and his army off and spread good luck. The blond Prince turned to her, his hat that matched his uniform now sat a top of his head. Mischa heaved a deep breath, her chest rising then falling as she stood a few feet from him. She grew clammy, struggling to know what to say considering the possibility this is the last time they'd see each other again. "Um, come back to me, will you?"

His expression softened and he took slow strides closer to her, taking her clammy hands into his own. "I promise this isn't goodbye, it's a simple see you later. As long as you can promise the same, that we will meet once again when we have won."

Mischa smiled faintly at him. "I promise." Although she didn't feel like she could hold true to her promise.

She watched with confusion as he dug one of his hands into the pocket of his coat. He pulled out the emerald Lantsov ring she had given him to keep safe prior to their reunion.

  "May I?" Nikolai asked in a gentleman way. Getting a nod in return, he slid the emerald onto her ring finger, returning it to its rightful spot. "When this is all over, it will start a brand new age of Ravka. I'm honored to have such a great Queen be by my side in the end, to give the light to my darkness. Know that Kirigan has nothing on you, he messed with the wrong Shadow Summoner." He whispered the last part, sending her a playful wink.

She mused at his words as she spoke to him earnestly. "Be safe, Nik."

"Before I make my leave, at the start of this... arrangement, I believe it to be a political standing, but Fates be dammed, I realize now that's now what it is. I never proposed a love match, but you have changed every fiber in my to believe otherwise. That this engagement is everything and more not only to Ravka, but to I as well."

  Mischa's lips parted in shock at the voice of his wording, believing she just heard a confession of love from the man. Nikolai gave her a knowing smile before departing towards the ship with his crew by his side.

Love? Mischa never thought her capable to love someone. But, did he confess he loved her just now? It might've not been his words exactly but he was implying it, and by the look he sent her before he left, he seemed to confirm her suspicions. And what a load of chicken she was, she was too shocked to say anything afterwards — not like he gave the time anyways.

Even though they spoke promises over seeing one another again afterwards, they had no idea what Fate had in store for them, if they would ever even see the other again. It was undecided but his feelings were not, and he made it clear to her how he felt.