𝟎𝟏𝟖. a new beginning

018. A NEW BEGINNING

 A NEW BEGINNING

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

   Zoya had volunteered to stay behind with Aleksander's corpse, so no Starless Saint fanatics would try and steal his bones and claim him a martyr. The rest of them went back to Zvedya to regroup with the survivors and the crows. Mischa was anxiously waiting to see if Nikolai was among the faces, she hated to admit she had been worrying about him since the time they departed.

   Aleksander's finger weighed heavily in her pocket. She knew what it meant, so did the others. Aleksander was probably the most powerful amplifier besides his Mother and Ilya Morozova to walk the earth. He had given her it knowing this.

   Thankfully, none of her friends questioned it, having witnessed the ordeal before hand. It was not the time to ask Mischa anything, she was still mourning not only Aleksander, but Baghra and every other life — friend they had lost to get them to this point.

   The Fold was gone but that didn't stop their problems. Enemies will be coming after Ravka now they have safe passage and with the decline of Grisha now, the Second Army was barely an Army.

   Not to mention, on the ride back to Zvedya Alina had told them all some important information.

   She could no longer Summon light.

   The power she used to eradicate the Fold had been too much and her power was now gone. She was an ordinary otkazat'sya , wanting to live a ordinary otkazat'sya life, with Mal. Alina made her intentions clear, her and Mal would be leaving soon, now that the Darkling and The Fold were taken care of, and she was no longer a Sun Summoner.

   Alina and Mal wanted to have a normal life, maybe even become a family. It was clear the two were in love with each other, and no doubt descended the luxury of that life. Mischa was happy for them, but she couldn't help but be saddened that this would be the last time she saw both her friend in a while. Not to mention, they get to settle down and live as everyone else. A luxury that now Mischa couldn't even afford.

   It's funny, at the start of their journey together, Alina had been the most important Grisha to Ravka, a damn Sun Summoner and Mischa was just an ordinary otkazat'sya. Now, the roles have switched and Mischa is embracing her new abilities. They both have come so far, but soon this would have to come to an end and Mischa would be staying in Ravka whilst Alina and Mal traveled the world. Mischa made a commitment, and she would stick it with it til the end.

   As Mischa walked in the middle of the group with Alina leading into Zvedya, the first thing that caught her eye was the piles of dead bodies laid out in the courtyard. Nina noticed as well and as the rest moved forward she stayed, dropping her body to the ground beside the bodies.