06 | False Theory

Ellie and I stood staring at the body "Holy shit," she said as I was furious my one only hope is to help with this mystery "Sir?" she said.

"Hm?" I looked at her.

"I think I know who killed him," she said with a stutter.

"And who would that be?" I said as an axe got thrown towards me but I ducked "Him!" she yelled as the figure came running towards us "Fuck," I got up and grabbed her arm and started to run, I pulled her in front of me as we continued to run through the museum halls.

"I thought that figure was somewhat on our side," Ellie said as we kept running.

"Seriously? We've had an axe thrown at us many times and you think that is on our side?!" I said as I was getting out of breath but continued to run.

"False theory I guess," she said with a hint of irony.

"Can we have this conversation when we aren't getting chased by a murderer?" I said to her.

"Yeah sure," she smiled as I pushed her ahead of me "Just keep running," as we continued to run we went to a hallway I pulled her behind this statue as I put my index finger to my lip as she nodded, the figure walked past us slowly.

I held my breath as I watched the figure slowly, I kept my finger on my lips as I slowly took out my pistol from my belt, I moved slowly as I aimed it at the figure, as I shot its arm, it let out a groan as it ran off.

I watched it run off as Ellie walked over to me "Yeah you're a detective but still didn't shoot it back there," she looked at me as she crossed her arms.

"I needed the right time," I put my pistol away as I wiped the sweat off my brow. I looked at my wristwatch and saw it was only 7 pm "Take me to Vae's parents' house," I said as we walked out of the building.

"What are you going to say to them?" She said trying to catch me up.

"I want to know how they're feeling," I said as I kept walking.

"You know you're in their bad books right now," she continued.

"I'm a detective I'm not supposed to be in people's good books," I said in a harsh tone.

After 30 minutes we made it to her parent's house "Ellie, how did you know Vae?" I asked.

"I knew her since we were 8 but she moved away from town then came back 3 weeks ago," she said.

I just nodded as I walked up to the front door and knocked as the door opened her father looked at me and grabbed my collar "Where is my daughter?!" He yelled in my face as Ellie grabbed his arm.

"Mr Morgan it's okay, it isn't him," she said softly as he just glared at her.

"Tell him," she said as she looked at me.

"Mr Morgan, I'm an undercover detective working on this case for over 5 years now I just came to see how you are and if you could tell me any information about Vae," I said sternly as the father let go of my collar, he was in shock about what I just said but immediately let us in, we sat down on the couch as he handed us a drink.

"Is your wife around?" I asked as I looked at him.

"No she's in town working," he said as he looked at us.

"Okay, I wanted to ask did Vae say anything before her disappearance? Were there any connections on why or did anyone want this to happen?" I looked at him as I leaned forward.

"Vae was destroyed she was clearly not in the reality of what happened to her at the library she was distraught when she got home, but after a few hours she came downstairs and talked about you, about how she thought it was you because you were thereafter she was attacked, but she's the sweetest smartest girl, she wouldn't deserve this no child who went through with this shouldn't deserve this," he said as I saw he was getting emotional.

I nodded "The next day after that attack I told Vae who I was and I warned her about safety but she didn't listen to me, did you know the tour guide at the museum?" I asked him setting the mug on the coffee table.

"I did, he was a nice chap, a very bubbly guy always there to help people why?" He looked at us.

"We had a tour about the history of the town and he mentioned stuff about you and we were going to talk more about the history but when we both left we heard screams we returned to the museum he was dead, where were you between 4-7 pm tonight?" I looked at him with a serious look.

"I was at work you can even call my workplace, I got home an hour ago," he said as I looked in his eyes and he didn't flinch, I nodded.

"Well thank you, I hope you have a good night," I said as we stood up, I motioned Ellie to leave first then I followed.

We saw him close the door and walked over to my car and lit up a cigarette before inhaling as I blew the smoke back in the cold misty air "Well that's my theory down the drain," I said as I rubbed my brow.

"You think the father did it?" She was concerned about my crazy assumption.

"Not anymore, I'm back at square one again and it's getting tiring," I said as I kept smoking.

"I think we are getting closer but each time we get a clue that figure must be intimated so we lose our clue, it's like a cat and mouse game, but we can't be the mouse in this, we need to work together fully to help and find Vae," she said pleadingly.

"I know Ellie, our clue right now is the father," I said as we heard screams from inside the house.

"Fuck!" I yelled as I ran back into the house and kicked down the front door to see his dead back with kitchen knives through his chest a heart was in one of the knives holding up a note, I grabbed the note and read it out loud "The cat does not negotiate with the mouse," Ellie turned to me "It's a real-life cat and mouse chase," she said as she looked at the note as we both looked at the body.