14 | Underground

We walked to the forest, I kept a sharp eye on Ellie, and I let her be in front of me, the sun was starting to set but it was still light outside, I watched her but also our whereabouts. I sighed "What's up?" She turned to look at me.

"Just been a long few months," I replied as I took out a cigarette and started to smoke, I gestured for her to keep walking. We came up to where the body was found, I watched the tree. Ellie stood next to me before squatting down to look at the ground "Sir?" She murmured.

"Hm?" I looked down at her.

"The ground is hollow," she stomped as I heard the sudden sound "There must be a latch somewhere, keep looking," I said as I kept smoking, I walked over and started to step on some grass as I hit a heavy step, I raised a brow and leaned down to move away fake grass, I pulled it back to see a latch "Ellie," I muttered.

She walked over "Holy crap, maybe this is a clue," she said with a joyful smile. I nodded not raising any hopes, the latch was shut and locked up, I took out my gun and shot it at the lock before opening up as I held the cigarette between my lips, I threw the cigarette to the ground and stomped on it, before helping Ellie down below, as I climbed down the ladder following her steps.

I used my phone flashlight as I looked around, holding Ellie close to me before walking ahead of her, I squinted my eyes to see something ahead, I took out my gun and kept walking slowly before heading to a door a few steps in front of us, I put my index finger to my lips before opening the door slowly but aiming my gun up.

The coast was clear, I kept walking making sure there was no one in the room, I sighed as Ellie walked around the room "This looks creepy," she said, I chuckled "Everything is in Nova," I replied, my eyes followed everything in the room, until something caught my eye.

I walked over and I glanced over at Ellie "If you touch something put it back where it was," I said sternly.

I looked back over to the desk, my eyes widened my chest tightened what I saw. I felt my breathing getting heavier, I grabbed onto the desk, and Ellie hurried over and grabbed my arm "What's wrong?!" She looked at me but I couldn't catch my breath, I took slow deep breaths as I grabbed the diamond ring "What's that?" She asked.

"The ring I gave to my wife," I replied as I looked at it.

"How do you know it's the same one?" She said.

"Because it has our initials," I showed her as her eyes also widened "So do you think" She looked at me.

"I. I don't know, my head is twisted up right now, she wouldn't do this to me, to these kids... she wouldn't dare," I said louder, but deep down was I lying to myself?

We were back in my car, I was driving Ellie back to her place, and the car ride was silent. I held the ring in my hand while driving, I was questioning my life, and my decisions if it was my ex-wife she knew half of my plans and knew what I was doing in the first place, I felt sick to my stomach. I was living with a serial killer.

I parked outside Ellie's house she had a look on her face that she was worried about me, I looked at her "I will be alright, you head inside and have a good night," I spoke as Ellie got out of the car.

"Ellie?" I spoke.

"Yeah?" She bent down to see my face.

"You did a great job today, you should be proud of yourself," I said with a slight smile, she smiled back. I watched her walk into her house, I drove back to my ex-wife's place. I sighed as I kept driving knowing something had to be said.

After an hour, I made it to the house where we made a lot of memories, I had goosebumps all over my body, and I felt sickened. I got out of the car and walked up to the door where I knocked harshly. She eventually opened the door after a few minutes "Javi? What's up?" She looked at me.

"May I come in?" I looked at her.

"Yeah sure," she opened the door as I walked inside, she walked back to the kitchen where she was making herself dinner, and I followed her inside.

"Would you like a plate set up for yourself?" She asked, I thought of it "Look I'm not here for a nice talk," I said she turned around confusingly.

"What's wrong?" She looked at me, I took out the ring "Where did you find that? I was looking for that to give it back to you," she said.

"I found it in an underground basement in a forest just under where Lily Wilkinson's body was found dead," I raised my voice.

"Tell me the truth Veronica," I kept raising my voice.

She started to laugh "You're blaming me for the killings in this town? Have you lost your goddamn mind?!" She yelled back, I glared at her "I don't want to believe it but when I see the engagement ring in there, how the hell would the killer if it's not you have that ring down there?" I kept raising my voice, I looked at her. She started to run to the door, I ran after her.

I grabbed her and pulled her to me "Tell me the truth, is it you? Or do you know who it is?" I raised my voice as I held onto her shoulders tightly.

"I have nothing to do with it, Javier!" She yelled back as she was stressing.

"You're lying," I snapped at her.

"I am not!" She kept yelling.

"Then why did you fucking run?" I kept raising my voice.

"Because of that!" She pointed, I turned around to see the figure behind us holding a sledgehammer.