4

April 20th 1996

"Be good!" He said, his hands on your shoulders.

Don't cause too much trouble for your mother, okay?", he added, looking at you staring back with a sharp look not daring to weep, as Aaru next to you was having his fifth breakdown of the day, causing a scene in the middle of the airport.

After their multiple attempts to get you and your sibling to sit down and have a decent conversation, the situation was quickly cleared for both of you. And it could be easily summarized into one single sentence.

A jobless father having to send his family to their home country till he could be able to at least pay rent.

"Aaru!", you called with a tone that matched your stare, turning to the little boy as if scolding him. "Dad is talking. You have to listen, not cry!"

Wiping his tears, he shared his look with you. "I'm sorry", he apologized, breathing heavily with his snuffles. "I just don't want to leave..."

You grabbed his hand, squeezing it hard. "Don't worry!", you responded. "We will be back soon, right?", you turned to your father with the ghost of a smile on your face that was holding the tears.

He wrapped his arms around the two of you, holding you closer while kissing your cheeks. "I will come to you and get you back!", he murmured in your ears, bursting into his own tears.

You couldn't hold it for long, the moment you felt his warmth, your tears got out of your control.

You hugged him back, sobbing as loudly as a kid who got his candy stolen. You sure were the one causing the scene this time.

Your mother was quick to you and joined you from behind as she quietly cried as well. It was heartbreaking for her to see the family she fought to build crumble in front of her...

"Please, Dad!", you said in between tears, not taking your face off the chest you buried it in. "Can't you come with us? I promise I will be a good girl from now on!", you looked at him, biting your bottom lip to stop yourself.

"Hey, we've talked about this", he answered, his voice calming you while ruffling your hair similar to his. "It won't take long for us to be together again. No need to worry."

"Good afternoon passengers", a voice from the public speaker interrupted the four of you. "This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 828 to Japan, Tokyo. We are now inviting those passengers with children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you."

Your dad turned back to you with a smile that you could see trembling from how he was trying to hold it.

"This is it!", he said, taking a deep breath to calm his own nervousness. "Oh, yes!", he suddenly remembered, putting his hands in his pocket, revealing two small items and giving one to each of you.

"Happy birthday!"

You took the small thing covered with red wrapping paper from his hand and tried to open it when he suddenly stopped you. "Open it when you get on the plane, okay?"

You gave him a quick last hug, each one of you hugging aside."Thank you, Dad!", you whispered, loud enough for him to hear and carve a smile on his face.

He looked at his wife, who herself was still quietly weeping. He wiped a tear off her face and gently put a kiss on her white hair that he used to compliment all day long, whispering in her ear. "I will be back soon, Akari."