27

"Kazutora, you won't be the one... to kill me!"

As you saw him raise the knife in the air, you yelled out in a sudden burst of fear, the pain and anguish of your injury momentarily forgotten. "Don't!"

Everyone was filled with horror and dread, their eyes locked on the scene unfolding before them, as Baji stabbed himself in the stomach and ended his life, right in front of all of you.

Your entire body seemed paralyzed by shock and disbelief, your hand out as if you were about to catch him but stopping right before he fell, your eyes wide open and staring, your breaths coming in sharp, quick gasps as the pain from your injured hand seemed to fade away in your stunned state.

Chifuyu was the first one to react, his voice rising to a loud shout as he called out his name. Everyone started to snap out of their shocked state, witnessing Chifuyu rushing over to the body and kneeling down, holding him in his arms, his eyes filled with tears and fear, clenching his teeth in despair.

"B- Baji?" You were finally awakened from your shock as you ran to him, skidding to your knees beside him, your vision blurry with the tears you didn't even feel collecting in your eyes. Blood was already overflowing the wound, sprays of red on the floor beneath him. "Oh my god..."

Kazutora's voice came out hollow and cold, a hint of a cruel grin dancing on his lips as he addressed a still and motionless Mikey. "You're next, you're gonna die along with him," he said, his words sounding more like a warning than a threat, his grin growing more unsettling as he delivered his message.

Mikey seemed frozen, unable to react or move, his whole being seemingly paralyzed by the shock of the situation. "Shut up," he let out, out of the blue. "I'll beat you to death."

Baji was gulping at the air, drowning from the inside out, a strange whine in his throat. Eyes wide. Scared, but calm at the same time.

And in just those few seconds, the blood had spread, seeping out until there were only small channels of black shirt between the red.

"Baji-San..." Takemichi, standing right next to you, called out, shaking from head to toe, panting hard, the gravity of what was happening slowly sinking in. "Why'd you do it? I don't get it..."

The guy spat up more blood and puss. He didn't have the strength to tilt his head, so it ended up on his chest. Chocked gasps spared no effort.

"Why would you..." Takemichi said again, his voice more panicky as the tears in his eyes grew heavier. "What were you trying to achieve... by stabbing yourself?!"

Baji's voice sounded weak in response, but his words still managed to hold some strength and conviction. He looked at you, then returned his eyes to the crying boy. "Takemichi... Come closer."

His words cut deep into your heart, making you feel a sense of sadness that was more than you could bear. His tone was never this frail, nor was it ever this quiet. At least you had never heard him sound like that.

You whimpered, your hand shook uncontrollably on the harsh ground, your eyes turned cloudy with tears, your fear of what was happening growing more and more as Takemichi sat beside you.

Baji's breath hitched, blood still dripping down his chin. "Kisaki is the enemy," he stated, fighting for a breath that could not be caught. "I realized that back when Pah stabbed Osanai."

"It's okay, Baji," you said, your panting fiercer with the tears stealing all air from your lungs, pushing the hair back from your eyes, a smear of your wet blood on your forehead. "You don't have to say anything. It's going to be okay. Help will come."

" "I'll get Pah out of prison. In exchange, make me the third division captain"," he kept on talking, trying to get it all out like a nauseating bite of food, his fight with the air still on. "I just happened to hear Kisaki proposing that to Mikey."